Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2015 06:00

Fan wiring question?

so i dont get this screwed up can some one help me wire this up right. i plan on adding this fan to the top of my case to help blow out more hot air.  and im going to use this controler. but it dont come with very good direction.

in this pic here i have the plugin numbered. #1 is no brainer Do i need to plug in #2? And the directions say Plug #3 into the mother board? But where. and does it matter this only has a 3 pin plug?

directions?

www.evercool.com.tw/.../instal_scbcd2.htm

plugs.jpg

i wonder if i could plug it in where it says CPU fun. since the CPU is water cooled. and pluged it at the right? does it matter if it is a 4 pin and the fan and cooler control is a 3 pin?

plug2.jpg

this documents came with the pc

board1.JPG

32 Posts

January 15th, 2015 07:00

i notice on my board that #30 is in a different spot?

3750.board3.jpg

32 Posts

January 15th, 2015 07:00

i notice on my board that #30 is in a different spot?

board3.jpg

32 Posts

January 15th, 2015 11:00

Is there a full wiring diagram for this PC out there. i goggled

and cant find any?

32 Posts

January 15th, 2015 12:00

DSC_7044.jpg

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

January 15th, 2015 19:00

alright, check this out: IDK what all of the fan headers do on the top light strip (yet). I assume your new fan controller wants 12volts, then u step it down w/the knob at your leisure. You can try the top cpu-fan, plug it in, see what it does. Wanna be sure? Unsnap your fan, plug in the molex connector, it should then run @ full speed (all 12volts). You can then gauge @ what speed the fan runs when connected to the cpu-fan. W/knob all the way up, does it seem full speed? Half speed? Pretend it is half-speed: that might mean the top cpu header isn't kicking out 12volts @ the moment). To answer your question, looks like #1 in your photo goes to mio board, mio board 'feeds the top light strip' for lack of better term, with voltages, rpm signals, pwm signals et al.

If you plug in at cpu (top light strip) @ your fan doesn't run full speed w/knob turned all way up: you saw my photo right? I bought a short black fan connector splitter. You might try one too; unplug your mem-fan, pop in the splitter, run the mem fan & fan controller off same header. It seemed to me, my fans ran full speed when plugged into mem fan. I believe it is a constant 12v output. If you plug in at cpu up there, and do not run at full speed, it may mean that port is 'monitored', regulated, understand?

Test it out, buy a 4pin y-splitter, &/or wait for others advice. When in doubt, buy a 'fan connector-to-molex adaptor' (2-wires 12v-ground fan-to-molex etc) ... simply give your fan controller constant 12v, then play w/fan speed w/the knob and call it a day ... hope this helps Wilson. Best I got @ the moment 

$_1.jpg

$3.75

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Noctua-NA-AC1-Fan-Connector-To-Molex-PC-Fan-Converter-Cable-/331446396758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d2bbea756

ok.jpg

$4.50 -4pin pwm splitter

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OKgear-Computer-Fan-4-pin-PWM-Y-Splitter-Black-Sleeved-/261452882590?pt=US_Fan_Heatsin_Brackets_Accs&hash=item3cdfce629e

4p.jpg

Aurora mem fan uses a 4p connector, get a 4pin y-split (=

32 Posts

January 15th, 2015 21:00

Best answer i have heard so far. i will test your suggestions out and let ya know how it turns out

32 Posts

January 17th, 2015 06:00

i found out what that 3 pin cpu fan on the motherboard and that rail is for. its for the fan thats on the back of the pc with the radiator.. and it dont have a steady 12V power. so today im going to go out and see if i can get that adapter to see if that works?

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

January 17th, 2015 08:00

Hey Wilson. I'm gonna say this for the record. You saw my pics. You saw I put in dual 100mm top fans. That rinky-dink memory fan? That is the weakest, stupidest thing I've ever seen. It's in my list of the top 5 stupidest things Alienware did to Aurora. My opinion, yank yours out someday & drop dualies up there. In the meantime, Rinky-Dink is so small it needs constant 12v just to put out a lil' draft. If it was me? I evicted mine from the premises, if I was you, I would demote that crummy little fan, yank its connector out of the top light strip, slap a molex-to fan on it, just feed it constant 12v. Feed your new fan controller from the mem-fan header. It deserves to be plugged in there.

Remember the movie Good Will Hunting? From memory, he says something like: my old man would lay out a belt & a hammer & ask me which one I wanted (which one was that?) the hammer (why?) ...

because ... (censored) him ... that's why. For that reason you have the paragraph above & below.

If you future proof dual top fans, you'll need to split your fan controller header to run two fans anyway. If you don't buy one today, look for one anyways if it suits you. You can get away of course w/a simpler 3pin as opposed to the 4pin (3+1) in my photo above; if you run rinko in the interim you'll need the 4pin type. If you get a y-split today like in the photo, maybe try for the shortest black one to keep it stealthy. With dual top fans someday, you'd yank rinko-dinko out. But wouldn't need the molex-to-fan. You spend 5 bucks for one though today anyways & relocate-demote it ... why? ... 'because' ... 'that' 'is' 'why' ...

No Events found!