Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2013 06:00

Finding a Driver for an 'Unknown Device'

Hi!

tions

I recently purchased the M17x R4 Alienware Laptop. When I received it I did a clean install for Windows 7 Professional. I installed all the drivers in the Resource Media DVD, updated said drivers with those I found on the dell support site and also updated the graphics driver from the AMD website. I then ran through windows update and did all the necessary stuff there. Played a few games and tried using various programs to test my new setup; everything appeared to work fine and dandy.

Then I downloaded AlienAutopsy just to make sure ever was fine and dandy and to see if I forgot anything. Ran the hardware test and everything was okay but then I notice the assessment that my system needed 'attention' and found that it detected 1 device without a device driver. I looked up the hardware ID for the unknown device and it came up with:

"ACPI\CPL0002" and was listed in the category of "other devices".

I did a quick google search for this hardware ID and found no relevant results. There were a few IT forums that had "suggestions" for what it might be but none that could say for certain. Among those suggestions included "Chipset Drivers" (I reinstalled all the chipset drivers on the dell support website just in case, but the device still showed up as "unknown"), "Smartbattery Driver" (I Installed from the Intel site as it was not listed for my computer on dell support, but still device showed up as unknown) and lastly some people thought it was the Freefall Sensors but I again reinstalled this from the dell support site and still no luck.

Would anyone have any idea what this device might be?

2.4K Posts

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the one. The device remains unknown :(

Just confirmed and that is the driver for ACPI\CPL0002. It's the on screen display. Can you try it again please?

2.4K Posts

Okay it's now working. Thank you very much. Just to explain -

My computer actually already had the Alienware OSD (which I installed from the resources DVD), but for some reason (perhaps the version on the DVD was out of date) it wasn't recognised. But your link seems to be the correct version for my laptop so now device is recognised. A million thanks!

Sometimes things just go nuts even computers. Glad you got it working

Okay it's now working. Thank you very much. Just to explain -

My computer actually already had the Alienware OSD (which I installed from the resources DVD), but for some reason (perhaps the version on the DVD was out of date) it wasn't recognised. But your link seems to be the correct version for my laptop so now device is recognised. A million thanks!

2.4K Posts

On Screen Display

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/alienware-m17x-r4?driverId=YV0P9&osCode=W764&fileId=2946586933 

If this is correct then please click the verified answer button so others can benefit from this

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the one. The device remains unknown :(

1 Message

March 27th, 2015 10:00

BEST help lookup and explanation i've found in 5 days looking for these missing drivers!!!! amazing work!

No Events found!