Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2011 12:00

Fix Request: M11x R3 Fan Behavior

Problem: M11x R3 fan whines / is loud. The effect is compounded by lack of a sufficiently granular fan control scheme.  The fan runs at 3 speeds (off, low, high) with an effect like having a hair dryer swiched on and off next to the user's head every 30 seconds -- very annoying and distracting.

Fix Request:  Improve granularity of fan speed control in BIOS.  Expand to at least 8 speed steps from zero to a practical maximum with sufficient hysteresis to prevent chatter.

This is common practice on modern computers and is a reasonable customer expectation.  Highly granular or continuous fan control schemes have been used for years.  The Dell Inspiron 8000 of 10 years ago accomplished thermal management less intrusively than the M11x R3 currently does.

Please advise whether or not this can be expected in a future BIOS revision.

1 Message

December 11th, 2011 19:00

Hi,

I am very happy with the M11xR3 but i do have to agree with EE_GAMER, we need a fix for the fan speed.

Please Dell if you could tag this as important. Fix it and let us know.

Cheers.

16 Posts

December 12th, 2011 11:00

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who is irritated by this.

Also just another small note on the design of the fan's flow. I see the fan air inlet is directly on the bottom of the unit which is ok when it's on a flat surface as the feet have enough height to allow air flow inlet. But when you've got it placed on something soft like a pillow, table coth, lounge, lap, etc this then blocks all air flow when it needs it.

I understand that any user should ensure to keep the air way clear at all operating times, however this is still a portable unit and being a top of the range well priced unit you'd think it would be designed to combat any potential problems like this.

Great system other wise.

No Events found!