Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2012 06:00

Freezing Lag M17X R3

Hello Everyone,

I am having some major issues with my practically brand new M17X R3.  I have only installed three things since removing it from factory packaging.  I've installed the games Rift, WoW, and TERA.  Up until Sunday evening the computer had been flawless, running around 50+ FPS in all three of those games at ultra settings.  However, Sunday evening around 9 PM EST the computer started to lag and freeze very bad, completely unresponsive for about 5 seconds.  The mouse would not move at all.  I don't even browse the web with this laptop because I bought it for gaming only and eventually programming.  

There is absolutely no reason for this to happen at all.  This is either something going wrong with the hybrid drives because when it freezes the eyes on the alienhead power button are going crazy or completely solid, or its the ram or GPU.  At this point I have no idea but I've only had my PC for less than 2 weeks.  

Hopefully a Dell REP replies to this and has a solution for me.  If I don't get a response or fix soon I will be returning this to Dell for my money back.  Not something I want to do but I am not going to have a Dell Technician come out and put USED or REFURBISHED parts into my laptop that is brand new.

You can view the specs of my laptop at http://www.realityrealms.com/Alienware.pdf

If you can help please let me know.  I can supply any type of log files or configuration files.

500 Posts

April 24th, 2012 17:00

Thanks for posting the issue so we can resolve it. Lets clear up a few things...

1. Does this happen only in those games?

2. What monitoring software do you use to log?

3. Does this permanently freeze the system and need a reboot, or just intermittent?

4. Are you using an antivirus, antispyware, firewall, or anything similar?

5. Do you ever have issues with heat or voltage throttling on the gpu?

6. Have you ever (not that I am recommended it here) run a stress test like furmark?

April 24th, 2012 18:00

1. Does this happen only in those games?

No, it happens at the desktop or anything else I attempt to do

2. What monitoring software do you use to log?

Nothing.  Any windows log files that would help?

3. Does this permanently freeze the system and need a reboot, or just intermittent?

The issue is intermittent but you might as well say it is freezing completely because sometimes it freezes so frequent together that I have to restart and that does not fix it all the time.

4. Are you using an antivirus, antispyware, firewall, or anything similar?

I was using Microsoft Security Essentials but I disabled this to make sure that was not conflicting with anything.

5. Do you ever have issues with heat or voltage throttling on the gpu?

I am not exactly sure how to check the voltage throttling but heat issues arent an issue checking it with speedfan or something similar.

6. Have you ever (not that I am recommended it here) run a stress test like furmark?

I ran one initial test the day i got the PC just because I wanted to compare it to my i7 desktop but not on a regular basis and not when the problem arose.

May 6th, 2012 06:00

Hello there!! I also have the same problem. Everything freezes at random times no matter if im playing a game or just browsing it will freeze for sure after some time. Also got the microsoft security essentials as an antivirus. My alienware freezes completely so i have to restart from the button. Please post any solutions!!!

Thanks a lot!!!!

7 Posts

May 6th, 2012 12:00

I made my own post as well about the problems I'm having, but seems to be the same in some ways.  My 2 day old Aurora R4 desktop has frozen twice and would reboot itself after about 30 seconds of freezing.  Both times happening during simple computer usage, messing with a preinstalled desktop gadget once, and once while browsing my yahoo fantasy baseball page.  I looked in the AlienAutopsy thing and only saw that it recognized an unexpected shutdown or whatever.  Not sure whats causing it, and if its going to be a lingering problem.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 6th, 2012 14:00

If using wireless, take it out of the troubleshooting equation. Test for the issue while plugging an ethernet cable directly from the router into the system RJ45 jack. Does the issue still occur?

May 6th, 2012 19:00

Hello Chris can you please explain what we have to do with the wireless thingy? I didnt understand at all. Or this you posted was a reply only for Aurora and not for Alienware issue? :S Im really upset and ready to call dell for my money back or a new lap top!!!!

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 6th, 2012 22:00

It's basic troubleshooting. If your issues only occur if using wireless and not when connected directly to the router via the RJ45 ethernet cable, that leads us down the path of troubleshooting the wireless connection. If the issues occur in both wireless and wired, we have to find something else to troubleshoot.

May 7th, 2012 02:00

I also have to provide you that its freezing at unsuspecting times. It may freezes in 20 mins of use it may freeze in 2 mins of use or it may not freezes at all and freeze after 1hour of during a restart before it goes to the screen that windows say good bye to you. It even may freeze after hours of use but sure is it will freeze! I have also check the temps with real temp and it say to me that the temps are ok.

May 7th, 2012 02:00

Yes its happening again with the cable on!!! Any other ideas? I will probably send the lap top to dell today to examine whats happening and fix it! I get the annoying freeze about a month now the best people to help me are dell's tech support but they have to see it with their own eyes :S ! If you have more troubleshoot issues to suggest let me know! Also thanks a lot for your time I really appreciate that.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 8th, 2012 13:00

Have you run the M17x-R3 ePSA diagnostics?

May 9th, 2012 12:00

Yeap I have done every single thing to check it out.. I sent the lap top yesterday to Dell so that they will find the problem and either fix it or send me a new lap top back. :/

1 Message

May 9th, 2012 13:00

I am experiencing exactly the same freezing/unresponsive issues with my brand new MX18E. I have tried to re-install Windows 7 to wipeout third party programs that might cause the freezing but the freezing still happens. I also tried using the latest graphics drivers that I downloaded directly from the NVIDIA downloads site but this didn't fix the problem. I have to force reboot the machine just to get it working again.

May 9th, 2012 13:00

My issue had to do with the integrated hybrid graphics card...not sure what your issue could be since its a desktop?

May 10th, 2012 05:00

No blackhat i have the same lap top as you have... Did they solve your problem? allanlee i have excaxtly the same problem as you experience!

May 10th, 2012 06:00

No I had to fix the issue on my own, but I eventually just sent it back for a refund because it had an issue with the RAID0.  I am purchasing the R4.  Hopefully it will be better than the other.

No Events found!