Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 9th, 2015 21:00

GA cable not working?

Today when I went to run my Alienware 13 connected to a GA,  I had no display either on external monitor or on the laptop itself.  I noticed that the GA cable no longer lights up at all either.  I had the GA running with an AMD r285 card and I have been able to run it without disconnecting through the GA with a NVidia GTX 970. As usual I went to seek answers here and at ARENA and was unable to find anyone with a similar problem.  What could it be?  Is their a solution that I can be pointed to?  Do I need a replacement cable? 

Thanks again for the help.

8 Posts

March 12th, 2015 12:00

I received a new GA and cable today.  It works! This cable lights up and I can actually boot to my lap top screen.  I have installed the AMD driver and the AMD card shows in device manager.  It seems if your cable does not light up it may be a possible indication of a hardware issue.

Now I am going to do some testing with some different games.  Thanks for the Assistance.  This community and the one at Alienware Arena are very helpful and Javier at Tech support was very patient in helping.

• 

2.7K Posts

March 10th, 2015 16:00

There could be a problem with the driver, I will recommend you to uninstall it and follow the instructions on this post.

Let me know how it goes. 

8 Posts

March 10th, 2015 18:00

I will give it a try.  I switched back to the EVGA 970 in the GA as that is the only one that worked for any consistent period of time.

8 Posts

March 10th, 2015 19:00

Still no response with the cable after getting 347.52 to work.  This is with either gfx card AMD or Nvidia. And I have followed the procedures to the letter on the Arena forums, no output on any monitor external or laptop.  Different hdmi cables have been used as well.  I am going to call support and see what can be done.  I really wanted to run the GA with the smaller more portable laptop but at the cost and lack of functionality I might as well get a 17 or 15.  I love this high res display, however...

8 Posts

March 11th, 2015 06:00

New GA and cable on the way.  Spent a good amount of time with support in which we tried various drivers the result was just a black screen on 13 and external.  Will report back after GA and cable swap.  I will try the cable only first.  Thanks for the assistance.

No Events found!