This post is more than 5 years old

February 26th, 2014 21:00

GPU Fan stops working after startup Alienware M17xR4

Model: Alienware M17xR4
BIOS: InsydeH20 Version 03.72.24A12
GPU: AMD Radeon HD7970M, using Catalyst Control Center 14.2 Beta
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820QM CPU @ 2.70GHz (8 CPUs) ~2.7GHz
RAM: 12GB

So recently my video card burned out for an unkown reason, but I was assuming just overusage. As a result I bought a new videocard, the same model (AMD Radeon HD7970M) and replaced the old one, keeping all other old components. When I booted it up, it worked as I hoped. I plugged in my second monitor and started up a game, but soon after, my laptop shut down and when I tried turning it back on, it gave me 6 beeps which I believe indicates GPU failure. After turning it back on again, I checked the GPU temperatures and they were at around 100 degrees celcius, and I understand my computer shuts itself down at around that temperature. I checked the fan by my GPU and it just isn't moving, and I’m guessing this is the problem. My CPU fan is just fine though. 
Here's a list of stuff I tried to fix this:
1. Reinstall video card drivers (wasn't sure if they were connected in some way)
2. Roll BIOS back to an older version (A09)
3. Update BIOS back to new version (A12)
4. Cleaned Registry using CCleaner
5. Physically cleaned my fan THOROUGHLY
6. Made sure everything was plugged in right, seems to be fine.
7. Checked power saving settings, all are on performance settings

Some quick notes while trying to fix this:
1. No software can detect that I even have a fan. GPU-Z says fan is N/A, as does HWINFO, MSI Afterburner, etc.
2. The fan by the GPU runs for about 5 seconds when I turn on the computer, and then stops spinning
3. When flashing my bios both times, the fan that seems to be malfunctioning runs at what seems to maximum speed until it finishes installing.
4. I'm not sure if the fan started doing this before or after my first video card burned out

I did read up a similar situation where someone took one of the wires and soldered it to the “+” side of the resistor, causing it to be on maximum as long as the laptop was on. Here’s the post as a reference. I’d only do this as a last resort. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/65182-35-dell-m1530-stops-working-boot

I don’t want to send in my laptop to any tech support departments ideally.

5 Posts

February 27th, 2014 22:00

Bump

25 Posts

April 1st, 2014 20:00

Having the exact same problem, luckily caught it before burning card. Hopefully someone knows how to fix this pos.

5 Posts

April 2nd, 2014 09:00

Hey sorry I didn't post a solution as soon as I figured it out, but yeah I fixed it.

I downloaded a program called HWINFO64. After starting it up with the options "Show Sensors", I clicked the fan button at the bottom (small leftmost button w/ a fan graphic on it) and changed fans 1 and 2 to "Custom Auto" and configured it from there. My fan now sits around 3000rpm. I'm not sure why the fan was disabled in the first place though, since the temperature gauge obviously still works. 

Hope I helped! 

25 Posts

April 2nd, 2014 12:00

I actually figured out that solution also, but its really not a solution in that the fan only works when the program is enabled. I had an xps 1710 with the same issue back in the day. Just don't understand what these dimwits at dell are up to. Seriously, never again will I purchase a dell product.

5 Posts

December 13th, 2014 05:00

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but this was never resolved, and it's turning into a nuisance as I've been having to rely on HWiNFO64 for almost a year. Hoping from an update from anyone. The only changes I've made are that I've updated my graphics driver and currently have switchable graphics enabled so that I can use my mini-displayport port. 

November 2nd, 2015 23:00

I have good news for you - I think I have found a semi-permanent workaround solution to this problem.  It's a little unique but seems to do the trick.  If your GPU fan is working but not moving (due to faulty GPU temp reading in my system) then this will help a lot.  Otherwise you made need to also buy a new fan.

1) carefully follow these instructions to get an unlocked BIOS:

forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m17x-aw-17/1964-%5Bm17x-r4%5D-unlocked-bios-versions.html

Note: when you downgrade your BIOS in DOS the first time it will beep for about 5 minutes.  Do NOT turn off your laptop!  Also note that you should reflash it again in a windows environment to update the firmware, like the post suggests.

2) Overclock your CPU using these settings:

youtube.com/watch?v=5UKIGn_V2Cg

also, adjust your Thermal Settings to run the fan at 40 degrees and make the startup speed 85.

Now, for some soldering.

3) Solder the CPU fan control signal to your GPU fan control input.

You need to solder one wire to the third pin from the left on your CPU fan (its usually blue).  Then cut the blue wire on your GPU fan and solder the GPU fan blue wire to this point. 

What this does is it tells the GPU fan to run every time the CPU fan runs.  Since the CPU is now overclocked, it will be running often, and thus saving your GPU from melting in a non-windows environment (when HWiNFO64 isn't running).  This is a serious life-saver for situations where your OS is freezing up or you need to run Repair Console or anything else.

pics:
s18.photobucket.com/user/Segasonicfan/media/laptop%20fixes%20and%20hacks/20151101_080628_zpshighhkm9.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

s18.photobucket.com/user/Segasonicfan/media/laptop%20fixes%20and%20hacks/20151101_072122_zpscjpzihqd.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I used a black wire as you can see.  So far I've been able to do pretty much anything with this system along with HWiNFO64.  Hope this helps keep your system safe!

No Events found!