Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2012 07:00

GPU fan stuck at high RPM on my Alienware X51

Hi Folks,

Got my new Alienware X1 yesterday .. been noticing something odd - when I stress my GTX555 GPU via a game or benchmark and when the GPU fan reaches a certain high RPM  it get's stuck at that RPM and never reduces.  Unloading the GPU by exiting the game/benchmark  back into Windows does not reduce the RPM - I've let it idle for up to 1/2 hour and the RPM has not decreased.Even resetting the system does not reduce the RPM - a shutdown is required. This is not an intermittent problem and is reproducible every time - the high RPM noise is quite loud and distracting. 

Some details below:

When the RPM/temp are under 2600/80c the GPU fan functions ok - ie when the GPU load lessens, the RPM also decreases.   However when the fan goes above 2600 RMP it quickly ramps up to 2900 - 3000 RPM and stays there - the RPMs never reduce after this.

Been talking to tech support and thus far they've only recommended upgrading the MOBO bios to A02 - that has not helped.  Have an on going discussion with them and will keep you posted.

Has anyone faced a similar issue ?  I'm thinking it's a Hardware issue withthe GTX555  card given that the card controls the fan RPM directly and even resetting the system does not help in this case - a shutdown is required.

Thanks ..

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

April 13th, 2012 05:00

Have Dell Support for your country send out a replacement video card to you. Your skilled enough to swap them out. Test the replacement and see if it has the same issue. Please post the results on this thread.

April 21st, 2012 10:00

Ok .. I solved the problem by re-seating the graphics card!! Fan no longer getting stuck at high RMP

No Events found!