Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2015 10:00

GTX295 and monitor Upgrade

Greetings, Looking to upgrade my dual GTX295s in my Alienware Area 51 ALX bought new a few years ago. I am buying the new curved monitor and will be using HDMI for video and audio, probably removing my separate sound card as well. Questions: Which of the newer dual NVidia cards can my system accommodate, mostly for power. And a second question, when using HDMI the initial bootup video is not able to be seen (I am currently using a DVI connection to my 24" Dell monitor), does this interfere with accessing bios? Thanks

2.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2015 23:00

Greetings, Looking to upgrade my dual GTX295s in my Alienware Area 51 ALX bought new a few years ago. I am buying the new curved monitor and will be using HDMI for video and audio, probably removing my separate sound card as well. Questions: Which of the newer dual NVidia cards can my system accommodate, mostly for power. And a second question, when using HDMI the initial bootup video is not able to be seen (I am currently using a DVI connection to my 24" Dell monitor), does this interfere with accessing bios? Thanks

My Area 51 came with dual 295's too :) I'm going to guess you have the 1100w PSU. You didn't say what resolution you are going with but since the 295's are so old it will not matter. I would go with 2 GTX 970 cards myself. But that PSU will support up to two GTX 980's for sure. If you have the 1200w PSU you can do 3.

I am not sure about the HDMI I never used it.

No Events found!