Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2015 16:00

GeForce GTX 555 Driver Update Not Installing

Hey all.   For the past couple of months, I have been getting the occasional error when I try to install the latest driver update, optional windows update for Intel product, and download .jar information.   Other times, my pc downloads and installs just fine.   Anyone have any idea what is going on?  

My rig:
GPU                            GeForce GTX 555
CPU                            Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory                       8.00 GB Ram (7.90 GB usable)
Current Resolution  1920x1280, 60Hz
Driver Version            347.52
OS                                Windows 7 Home Premium

April 13th, 2015 09:00

1. Gather the tools [download]

2. Place them in folders on the Desktop

3. Start Button Search  msconfig    run admin. rights  Boot Tab - Safe Mode minimal services

• Restart into Safe Mode

4. RUN DDU

• msconfig unchecked Safe Mode Boot - Reboot Normal

5. Install Dell Alienware X51 Intel HD graphics driver

• Reboot

6. Install Nvidia Graphics driver

• Choose Custom Install.
  • Unchecked the two 3D drivers, only install the HD Audio and the Graphics Driver
  • Reboot

7. Install NVIDIA PhysX System Software

• Reboot

Control Panel
Hardware and Sound
Manage Audio Devices
Set your default audio device

DONE

25 Posts

April 13th, 2015 04:00

Update:  

No advice came back, so I tried to run a system restore in the hopes that that would fix the problems. I restored back to an Avast critical restore point from late February. That's when the whole can of worms came undone. 

Suddenly, I couldn't use Chrome or Firefox browsers (bad certificates or something), it said my Avast was outdated and I needed to find a new one, and I can't open simple applications like the java applet or Quick Note (nothing happens when I double click).

On top of that, I'm getting notifications of windows doing stuff I've never seen it do before. Like personalizing settings for media player (haven't used it in ages) and chrome and also setting up "unknown" USB devices. After it installs them, it then identifies what they are (keyboard, etc). 

Avast quick scans and full scans came up with nothing. So, I tried an Avast boot time scan and went to bed. When I woke up, it had only scanned ten percent and then stopped- asking me what to do with the issues it had found- having already found three issues. I didn't know you had to be with the boot time scan the whole time. I thought you could make decisions about what to do with everything after the scan had completed. 

Anyway, when I exited out of the bootscan and tried to log in to my profile, I suddenly get told that my Windows version isn't genuine (trust me, IT IS) and a temperary profile was set up for me --- all my desktop icons gone. Chrome didn't recognize me. Even the number lock on my keyboard wouldn't turn on. 

And lastly, just before coming here, I did a restart in the hope that my profile would come back. It did. Thank God. All the other problems still exist though. 

Anyone have any ideas what is going on? 

April 13th, 2015 05:00

Try a fresh driver install.

Create a Restore Point.

Display Driver Uninstaller in Safe Mode.

Clean install of Nvidia Driver.

Suggestions:

Keep your motherboard Intel Graphics stock driver - Early 2012 X51

F12 - Run Alienware™ Enhanced Systems Diagnostics (ePSA)

AlienAutopsyDell SupportAssist helps diagnose health and links your system with Dell Support.

Example Report from my Early 2012 X51 i7 2600

25 Posts

April 13th, 2015 05:00

Wait, so the driver I install after the uninstall is at the link in your sixfh line?  If not, where do I get a replacement driver?

I already ran a ePSA.  Came back there were no problems.  Did the Dell Support Assist too.  I have a log if you need to see it.  

25 Posts

April 13th, 2015 06:00

So, the driver I'm supposed to install after the uninstall is at the link in your sixth line?  If not, where can I find it? 

Also, I ran the ePSA and Dell Support Assist already.  The first found no problems and the second gave me a report that I saved to my desktop.  I can copy and past it here if you like.  

April 13th, 2015 07:00

GeForce Game Ready Driver for Grand Theft Auto V

Version: 350.12  WHQL
Release Date: 2015.4.13

25 Posts

April 13th, 2015 13:00

When I ran step four, I did the following:

1.  I opened the folder and clicked on it and chose "Extract All Here"

2.  I opened the DDU v 14.3.0.0.exe

3.  I opened the Display Driver Uninstaller.exe

4.  Clicked Clean and Restart 

5.  WHILE that was running, I typed msconfig in search box, and went and saw that safe mode was unchecked.  Exited. 

6.  As the DDU.exe was finishing up, I got a message that said DDU had changed the setting that prevents drivers to be downloaded automatically with Windows Update.  Said I could change back to default later.  Not sure how to do that though... 

7.  Another item came up that said "Unable to Fetch Updates"

8.  Rebooted back into what looks like Safe Mode (is that what windows looks like with drivers uninstalled?). 

9.  Got a message from tool bar saying "Installing Device Driver Software". 

10.  Went back to msconfig and Clicked on Reboot Normal (thinking I was still in Safe Mode).   Hit apply, okay.   Rebooted. 

11. Had to Force Restart due to the tool bar being busy installing device driver software.... 

12.  Was still in what looked like Safe Mode after reboot.   

13.  Reboot one more time, this time tapping on F12 to get into the Windows Boot Manager.  

14.  Seemingly ignoring me, my pc started windows up without me doing anything further.   

15.  Still in what looks like Safe Mode.  I've concluded that this IS what windows looks like without drivers installed .... .... right?  

16.  About to proceed to Step 5 ..............

25 Posts

April 13th, 2015 13:00

Proceeding to Step 5, I hit Run as Admin. 

Got a "Question".  Said "This computer currently contains driver versions newer than the versions you are about to install.   Are you sure you want to overwrite the following drivers with older versions?"

-  Intel HD Graphics (9.17.10.3347)
            -  Intel Display Audio (6.14.0.3074)

Should I tap 'yes'?  

Update (30 min later):  I'm still staring at the question.  I'm going to go ahead and click yes. 

25 Posts

April 13th, 2015 14:00

Still in what looks like Safe Mode after running step 5.  Proceeding to step 6. 

25 Posts

Was asked if I wanted to do a clean installation near the end of Step 6.  Said no.   
Finished all the steps.  Desktop looks normal.  No more update exclamation point over the Nvidia icon on the toolbar either.  

However, the executable jar file still won't open.   Going to try to uninstall and re-install Java one more time.   :(

25 Posts

Went to uninstall Java in my control panel (windows 7).  Had two versions.  Update 25 and Update 31.  Both gave me problems when I tried to uninstall.   The first sent my pc into an endless blue wait cursor.   The second gave me a what-the-hell-are-you-asking-me popup noise and the message "Can not find message file" (huh?).   

Managed to get them both uninstalled, I think.    
Gonna try, again, to re install Java.   This time using Ninite.  I'm not optimistic, however. 

25 Posts

April 13th, 2015 15:00

Everything solved (Java works!) but two questions left unanswered.   

1.  How do I change it back so Windows update includes Driver updates?  

2.  What do I do with the four folders?  Can I delete them?  Or should I save them?

April 14th, 2015 01:00

Intel Graphics 8.15.10.2696 is Windows 7

Intel HD Graphics 9.17.10.3347 is Windows 8 compatiable

6.14.0.3090 is my Display Audio version.

Keep your newer or older drivers. It's just Windows 7 or Windows 8 editions.

Just get and save the latest drivers from Dell Support for your next fresh install.

Not sure if I like the 350.12 driver.

No Events found!