Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2011 21:00

GeForce GTX 560 Ti owners - Seen issues?

Hello, I just recently got an Area 51 with the nVidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti card.  I have noticed that after 3 days of continuous running of the system, I seem to start seeing some texture glitches.  The Desktop is fine, but it is when I am in the 3D games, do I see the problem.  Sometimes, if I alt-tab, the texture problem goes away for a little while, but then comes back. Short of a full shutdown and waiting for a few minutes I might have it gone.

I am using GPU-Z to monitor temperatures, and when it happens, it isn't overheating.  Temps are ranging from 61 to 81C, so I am not even really hitting super hot.  I even have the system spin up the fans directly in proportion to the heat sensors, and I don't see the system heat hitting higher than 33C internally.

Speaking with a tech, we noticed that the Event Viewer records a display error, which I have seen happen before I have the graphic glitches, namely, in the middle of the game, everything freezes for a few seconds before it recovers.

I am curious if anyone else had similar problems with their GeForce GTX 560 Ti card?

27 Posts

August 20th, 2011 17:00

No one has noticed issues?  Or have tried running one of their machines past 24 hours?

62 Posts

August 20th, 2011 18:00

Install the card in another pcie slot.

27 Posts

August 21st, 2011 00:00

You think it might be the PCIe slot?  As it is in Slot 1, and the Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium is on Slot 3?

62 Posts

August 21st, 2011 14:00

Yes it could be, or it could be the drivers, are you using the latest drivers?

45 Posts

August 21st, 2011 19:00

It could be overclocked too much, or the PSU cannot power it. But I'm sure the PSU could. It's only a GTX 560.

27 Posts

August 21st, 2011 23:00

Well, this is all stock hardware from the original Alienware Area 51 build request.  I was even using the drivers alienware wants me to use, which is the 270.57 drivers.  Although when I spoke with their techs, they suggested that I should shut down my computer once in a while.  Now I know Windows itself will require an occasional reboot to get things up and running again, but I also don't believe I have ever seen a video card have texture issues just cause I ran the system 24 hours a day either.

27 Posts

April 27th, 2012 22:00

I am bringing this thread back up again...  I wish to get this resolved, and so far, I haven't heard anything...

I am still getting the occasional, random TDRs and eventually, later on, in my games, the graphical glitches will start to show up and cause serious problems later.

I also noticed a few other things:

One - My soundcard, the Creative Soundblaster X-Fi is on the same IRQ 16 as my video card.  The Video card is also running at x8 versus x16.  I have also tried moving the Sound card to a different PCI slot and that did not solve anything as the IRQ and the PCI x speed is still the same.  Anyone with an Area 51 Computer seeing similar problems with their video card?

2.4K Posts

April 27th, 2012 23:00

Put the GPU in the top PCI-E slot. It will run at x16 in the top slot. Next you should clean out the Dell drivers and install the drivers from Nvidia. Do a complete uninstall and run CCleaner to clean the registry.

Try this and see if the issue goes away.

27 Posts

April 28th, 2012 20:00

Card is in the top slot, has been since first gotten from Dell (I inquired about this from the Alienware Techs and they said not to worry about this, which I have contention with.)  I also sat down with them when I first brought this up back then, running driver cleaners...  So still having the issue.

27 Posts

May 10th, 2012 22:00

Still looking for some help.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 10th, 2012 22:00

If it's not over-heating, and you clean-installed the proper latest drivers ... and it's still not working? Sounds like a bad card. Try a diffferent one.

Also, that is low-end card in a high-end machine. Did you buy it new like that or did it come from the Outlet? Is it still under warranty?

If not crazy about nVidia cards ... try an ATI-AMD card next time.

27 Posts

May 24th, 2012 21:00

Then I will give Alienware another call...  Cause this is the card that came with the system, it's an OEM card.  The Alienware guys had me do a clean install and using their drivers and still have the problem, even with the current nvidia card drivers too.  It should still be under the 1 year warranty as well as the 3 year.  I prefer nVidia cards, just find it strange how I was told this is okay and seeing a card not only not being 16x, but having graphic glitches just being on over 24hours.

27 Posts

October 13th, 2013 14:00

Revisiting this - So...  After a year, and also running on a few revisions of the nVidia drivers, longest reboot stint I paid attention to about 24 days...  The card seems to have started having issues again.

I just recently switched to a new EVGA nVidia GTX 760 card.  Not having problems at the moment, but I believe the OEM nVidia GTX 560 Ti cards might not last very long and the alienware drivers are not updated beyond the 270 drivers, so it may no longer be supported or updated.

11 Posts

October 21st, 2013 04:00

Out of interest, what X51 are you running? I have the i5 3450 with the OEM 1.5gb 660, and the 1.5gb is proving a bit of a bottleneck (on top of having to have MSI Afterburner running to control the fans properly)

Which EVGA did you get? And are you having to use MSI to stop it overheating? Lastly, did it fit straight in?

Sorry for all the questions :)

No Events found!