Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 28th, 2017 05:00

Glitches when gaming, please help

I have tried to ask this elsewhere bu have not got any answer, so i try asking for help here as well. I recently bought and alienware 17, of the year model 2014. It was hardly used according the owner since i was mostly doing his gaming and work on his alien desktop. My alienware has 23 gb ram memory, nvidia geforce gtx880m, including around 1.5 tb disk space and intel core i7 4700mq cpu 2.40 ghz processor. I have windows 8.1 operating system, which was the operation system that was with it originally when it was released. So one should think it would work properly. The guy, went trough all sorts of tests, before he sent the laptop to me. Took a stress test, and lots of other tests, and he could not find anything that was wrong at all. The laptop works great, but when you are playing games it seems to have some sort of glitches...in middle of kingdom of almur for example, the screen freezes, but i can still hear the fight or the character moving, or people talking to the character, even though the video picture froze. Then i have to push the windows key button, then go back to the desktop and click on the game icon that shows and then it works ok again for a while, till it starts again. I updated my nvidia drivers to the resent updates, so it can not bee that. I also want to mention that my acer aspire is as old as my alienware and i have no issues like this on my acer, and it has the same windows operating system too. I bought this alienware to get a proper gaming laptop to myself. Also I have no issue like this on my acer with Kingdom of Alamur. The game ghost of a tale crashes completely on my alienware so i need to do a force restart. On my acer I have no such issues. Please help me with my issue! Could my alienware drivers bee in a need of an update, or what is the problem...PLEASE HELP!!!!

October 29th, 2017 14:00

do you have alienware update installed?  

Is there 23gb of ram?  not possible....ram is installed in even increments 4,8,16...etc

Please recheck you system specs.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 30th, 2017 10:00

Hi ‌,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date and also try different video drivers (the latest one from our website and then from the Nvidia website).

11 Posts

October 30th, 2017 19:00

I have updated the to the latest nvidia drivers...The guy said he had updated the drivers, but if there has come a new version 2 weeks ago, i guess i should update it. Can not harm to update it again to bee sure though..

11 Posts

October 30th, 2017 20:00

I tried to update some drivers that dell said needed to bee updated, when checking the laptop in needed updates, but the update failed. How do i check for bios update?

11 Posts

October 30th, 2017 21:00

This is the Alienware specs on my laptop. I checked with my Support Assistant, i had only one driver to bee updated. I will check and see if it works now. But i am worried it might not work since it was not a video driver that was updated. I hope it works though. I will test and let you know...

11 Posts

October 30th, 2017 21:00

Yes, according to the specs i have 24 gb ram installed. Sorry for the little error, not 23, i meant 24 gb ram. as you can see on the specs.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 31st, 2017 14:00

You need to go to our website and check what's the latest BIOS version in there.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 31st, 2017 21:00

If it passes F12 BIOS boot ePSA Diags, continue forward.

I like to stress-test my machines with OCCT Power-Supply Test (remove games from equation).

Nvidia m880 is a little old so a mature Nvidia driver from about a year after it's release might be better. Maybe the Dell validated driver at support.dell.com for this machine is more like that.

Why are you running a RAID-0 ?

Why are you still running Windows-8?

Has it been cleaned inside? All fans working? Have you run CPUID HW-Monitor while gaming to check for over-heating (and/or thermal throttling)? Intel i7 and m880 in a laptop is gonna run very hot.

11 Posts

November 1st, 2017 20:00

Did a checked, the bios on dell website has not been updated since 2014 and it is that bios i have installed...

11 Posts

November 1st, 2017 20:00

I had windows 10 but it was unusable, it just gave me blue screen of death and crashed, same with the games. So i sent it back to the dell IT engineer i bought it from and asked him to install window 8.1 that the alienware came with when he bought it. Besides, i am familiar with windows 8.1 and i have no interest in learning a new windows operation system again, specially something that looks messy. If i update to windows ten, that will bee the year 23. 

I have updated mt nvidia drivers to the newest version from the envidia website. Stress test was resently tested before the guy sent it and everything was in perfect health...Fans run perfectly, plus that i also am using a scorpion cooling pad to have my laptop on, to cool it a little more.

Yes, it has been cleaned inside, it is like brand new, not a single piece of dust inside, since the guy have been very strict with keeping the laptop dust free and in top trim inside...

I am no laptop nerd, i only bought this laptop since i always wanted an alienware but never could afford one because i live on pension, and because there where lots of ram memory, newer invidia card, compared to the one i have on my acer, that i bought 2014. So do not ask why i run raid-0. like i said it came with the laptop...

11 Posts

November 1st, 2017 22:00

It seems like not all games fancy to run properly with gforce. The games that had issues works now when i have chosen the integrated graphics as default, and use gforce only with games that truly needs it...

No Events found!