Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2016 07:00

Graphics Amplifier Running GTX 970 Causes High CPU Load When Connected to R2 13 -- Any Ideas?

1) Running Windows 10.

2) When the graphics amplifier is connected, 'System and compressed memory' hogs a steady 20-30% for as long as the laptop is running.

3) I thoroughly researched the issue, and tested ISR and DSR values coming back thinking it might be a driver issue. It appears to be Nvidia related from this data, and given the fact the problem only exists when connected to the AGA, I am sure this is the right direction.

4) I reinstalled the Nvidia drivers with the AGA. It then reinstalled the 970 drivers (running 960m in the laptop) but the problem persisted.

5) I have two Alienware laptops, and my R2 15 inch does not exhibit this behavior even though both windows installs are cloned from the same image.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 21st, 2016 16:00

Hi,

Remember the driver that should be installed is the one from the laptop (960) and not the one from the AGA. Please install the correct driver from Nvidia and if the same happens, send me a PM with the Service Tag.

4 Posts

July 21st, 2016 18:00

Please explain how to prevent windows from installing the 970 driver on its own. This laptop came with Windows 10 Pro, but it's currently on Home, since I imaged my other laptop (we work together and need identical settings, programs, and what not), and Microsoft has no install keys, so I have no idea how to upgrade to Pro where you can restrict windows 10 from automatically screwing you by updating to new drivers. This was a big mistake I made not realizing how terrible the Home edition is. :-/

I bought the 13" laptop having this issue secondhand, is there a way to recover the OEM pro key? I did try reinstalling with key found in the BIOS for run, but that didn't work. I think that might be the root of the problem.

When I wiped the the drivers before, I am pretty sure the AGA was disconnected when first installing the GPU drivers, but I will try again asap to see if that solves the problem. My wife is currently grinding a project on it. It's unfortunate because she needs the four monitor setup from this AGA, and every bit of CPU.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 27th, 2016 11:00

Check how to disable Windows updates here. Let me know if you need something else.

4 Posts

July 30th, 2016 06:00

You can't disable Windows Updates in Home. It's impossible. You can set to a metered connection only over wifi. I tried blocking IPs on the router (running DD-WRT) and it found away around that! I have my desktop running pro completely locked down though. I will never, ever update it. I ran XP until last year.  :-)

Unfortunately after thorough testing and completely wiping all traces of Nvidia, the problem with the Amplifier remains. I did not check with the other laptop yet, but I will later today. Regardless, the AGA is the root of the problem.

PMing you now.

4 Posts

August 1st, 2016 04:00

I can unfortunately report that the problem does not persist on my R2 15 which is running a clone of the installation on the 13 with the exception of mouse driver and whatever hardware driver being different. The 13 is much closer to pure than the 15.

The 13 also is messed up with a wintogo fresh install, so I am guessing it is a hardware fault as much as a diver issue.

Finally, I checked the purchase receipt, the 13 only had home on it, while my 15 had a pro license, but when cloned was provisioned a home license.

Please let me know as soon as possible the course of action.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

August 5th, 2016 06:00

Per the Forum Terms of Use which you agreed to when joining, you cannot have a username with a profane word in it. The other account is not banned. It is working. You may change that username to anything you want minus profanity. Or tell me what you want you want it changed to and I will do it for you.

1 Message

August 5th, 2016 07:00

I still need an answer to this issue. It's being RMA'd today if I don't get an answer.

August 13th, 2016 11:00

Success! Nightmare of this thread is over. I finally found the solution after weeks with no help at all from Dell.

The problem was that the Windows 10 installation was listed as a portable version in the registry despite being connected via SATA. The explains why using a fresh install had no effect on solving the problem because I was using a USB 3.0 UASP connection to test this. I restored an image to the laptop which was made on a portable install and that's what caused the problem.

The solution is very simple, go to the registry and set the portableversion parameter to false. I don't have any other data, but I would assume that the AGA is not compatible with externally booted Windows 10.

Some documentation for the AGA would be great. It's a neglected project it seems. It seems absurd nobody had an answer anywhere, but I'm being the good guy and posting for anyone else in this spot.

No Events found!