Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2017 06:00

Graphics card, Mainboard or something else broken?

Hello together, 

i have following problem with my X51R2 (i7 4770, GTX760ti, 8GB Ram, Win10Home64bit, 2TB HDD):

Yesterday after a gaming session of 4-5 hours my screen lost connection to the computer, sound was still hearable. By pressing the shutdown button the pc were shitting down normal. After a restart i was able to hear the starting beep and i was able to see the BIOS screen and the rotating circle for starting Windows. After that i got a black screen including a white bar and a few green pixels (shown in the picture). Around 2 months ago i cleaned the whole HDD and installed Win 10 clean. I had it before on Win 8.1 that i sometimes lost the connection to the screen for a few seconds and then it came back over the intern graphic. Back in that day i removed the nvidia driver and installed it new. An ePSA test didn't tell anything bad also not yet, running ePSA test - everything fine. What i saw within the last few days was, when i was starting, sometimes the Win loading circle showed up multiple times - loading screen, short interuption in the screen, a few green pixels, usb connections on / off and then the loading screen again. After that the computer was always running ok. After starting the Computer around 6 to 7 times it finally went through normal again, not showing the black screen with the white bar and green pixels. Sadly i don't have another graphics card to check but maybe someone is able to give me a solution without me buying a new one to try.

Thanks in advance

Sevi

1 Attachment

35 Posts

May 11th, 2017 08:00

Reminds me of the overheated Xbox GPU problem on the early 360s. Check the fan on the GPU and clean if necessary. If not save and replace but see if you can borrow one to test theory first. Also try replacing cables. Does your monitor have HDMI or other connections? Try a different video port if you have multiple monitor hookups on the card. May just be a bad port as well.

I had an HDMI port go out as well for video but was still able to hear sound on a TV.

5 Posts

May 11th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for your answer tktnuri,

the fan is definitely working and clean. Cleaned it not that long ago and i can feel on the back that it is blowing. I'm using the HDMI for the monitor, haven't tried the others anymore since a long time but i will give it a try. I can't really believe in a temperature problem i was using HWiNFO64 and always had something around 85C with gaming. I will also take a look that i get a graphics card from somewhere to try.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 11th, 2017 15:00

Good to hear your ePSA test passes. It's not all-knowing or all-telling, but it's the first hurdle you have to cross. Not sure how that happens if you have no video. Not real clear on what machine is doing right now.

Some Releases of x51 have an on-board video card of sorts. I think you remove the dedicated Nvidia card to help it start working. Might prove the motherboard and power-supply are still good.

Also, see this:

https://community.dell.com/thread/8267-alienware-desktop-general-hardware-troubleshooting

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 11th, 2017 16:00

sevix3 wrote:

1. I can't really believe in a temperature problem i was using HWiNFO64 and always had something around 85C with gaming.

2. I will also take a look that i get a graphics card from somewhere to try.

1. Not sure if that is the CPU or GPU, but that's kinda high if it holds at that for a long time.

2. Just about any old PCIe video card will work for testing (even if small). Or, like I said ... if x51 has an on-board video port, try removing dedicated-card and then try to use it. 

No Events found!