Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 29th, 2017 07:00

Graphics card upgrade for X51?

Hey, Im thinking of upgrading my graphics card but I'm a bit wet under the ears when it comes to it. I currently have an AMD Radeon R9 270X. Would anyone have some suggestions for specific upgrades that I can install with little to no hassle? Im paranoid about buying something and it not fitting/running.

11 Posts

January 30th, 2017 01:00

Hi I can confirm that my X51 R2 following upgrade works just fine.

From GTX 745 to GTX 1060 6gb (the EVGA mini version).

I play DOOM on ULTRA (1080p) with about 75 - 78 C and constant 60 fps.

With ROTR on ULTRA (1080p) I noticed that the card was under stress with 84 - 86 C and 45 - 60 fps (but the game is really heavy) and still these temperatures are beyond the limit / I asked EVGA :-)

So yep, Im very happy with the ugrade.

Make sure to have the 330W brick (i bought it).

Recomendations: From the forums I notice that ppl recommend the reference blower style GTX 1060 for reasons of better heat management. So if u find a blower style 1060 that can fit, opt for that but make sure it fits first. If u cant find one, dont worry and get a mini GTX1060 like mine. It ll do the job just fine.

My build is the following:

X51 R2

WINDOWS 10/ 64

BIOS A10

16GB DDR3

i5 4460 3.2 ghz / max turbo 3.4 ghz

GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA mini)

SSD Corsair (480GB).

330W Power Brick.

One more thing. In order to make more air space in the X51 (narrow) case I  removed completely the DVD Rom (I never really used it anyway) and replaced my 2GB HDD with the above SSD (I turned the HDD into an external one only for music/ films and other large files).

Overall my X51 boots like in 5 seconds and performs like a new 2016 expensive machine. So go for it!

-------------

And 2 questions for anyone who ll read this post and would like to answer:

1. Do you think that my the i5 4460 3.2 ghz bottlenecks the GTX 1060 6GB? , and

2. Do you think that upgrading to an R2 compatible i7 would make really a difference on gaming - would it be worth it?.

Thnks!!! :-)

2 Posts

January 30th, 2017 05:00

Hi, thank you very much for the thorough reply. It was very helpful :)

I'd been hearing good things about the 1060 mini so I was actually considering it. After hearing your experience it seems like a very good choice.

The only blower style card I can find is this one:

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_3

It seems slightly on the large side and I've been hearing disaster stories of trying to set it up with the X51.

I may just go with the mini to be safe. I'm lucky enough to have a 330w power supply too.

I'll try removing the DVD rom while I'm at it as like yourself I wouldn't use it very much.

Thanks again!

No Events found!