Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 19th, 2013 23:00

Gtx 780 Problem

I own a Alienware Aurora R3 and I just recently bought a EVGA Nvidia gtx 780 SC. I tried to connect it but all it gave me was 5 beeps. At first, I thought the card was a damaged, but it worked on one of my other friends computer. I called EVGA and they said that the bios on my Alienware is not updated to recognize the card. So, I called Dell-Alienware support and they said that they dont plan to update the Bios past A06 for R3. This seems a little unfair and feels like a I got ripped off for buying an Alienware Rig. I know them as the guys who focus on pc gaming but at least allow the people who have older models of the the desktop to be able to upgrade their graphic cards to the lastest generation. 

Anyone who replys to this, I would love a solution to this problem cause I really want to upgrade to my rig to it best performance. But Dell, You guys need to get your things togther

2 Posts

July 8th, 2013 14:00

I love how all the advise u gave was a month too late. I already tried everything you said but sadly it's too late.  My power supply is 875 so I know it should work,  plus I can even dual sli if I wanted to.  But I already fixed my problem.  The only option was to replace the motherboard which I did with one that the creator still dedicate to even after the year pass. I  replaced  the motherboard with the Asus maximus v gene.  Best motherboard ever which was compatible with all the parts that was currently in the rig. Also, obviously the gtx 780 worked perfectly.  I am never buying a dell/alien ware computer ever again.  I would rather buy it from a different brand or build my own. 

58 Posts

July 8th, 2013 09:00

I have the same system, Aurora R3 and purchased an EVGA GTX 780 (NOT SC) and while I do notice a long pause at boot time, then a long BEEP, it does boot into Windows and the card works FANTASTICALLY from there.  Additionally, I am unable to enter System BIOS (by pressing F2) during boot-time.  I just get a black screen, blinking cursor top left in place of the System BIOS and have to reboot.

I've opened a case with EVGA, but I'll probably get a similar response, TOO BAD YOU BOUGHT A DELL.  It's really depressing, we paid TOP DOLLAR for these Alienware gaming rigs and they can't be bothered to issue BIOS updates for us.  This will be my last Dell gaming system.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Then, in the BIOS ... try these one at a time.

If you have a SecureBoot option, turn it off.

If you have UEFI option, change it to Legacy.

If you have PCIe v3.0 option, reverse it.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

First, verify you have the 875w Power Supply.

Then...

Assuming the power supply wire colors indicate the 12v rails going to the video cards:

Try with a power connector from each wire set at the same time.

Meaning, use either P14 OR P15

and also

either P16 OR P17

15 Posts

August 10th, 2013 22:00

I decided to try for myself and got an EVGA GTX 780 TI SC. It worked. No issue. The GTX780 is powered by a Booster X5 (500W extra on 36A rails). I was ready with a new motherboard to rebuild the system but no need. Windows 7 starts fine and I can go to Max settings in COD Ghosts.

Maybe this GTX 780 has a different Bios and I got lucky.

58 Posts

September 7th, 2013 18:00

Was the Asus Maximus V motherboard easy to install?  I've never messed with water cooling before, kinda why I bought the Alienware... Scared of all those TUBES!!! eeep!!

No Events found!