Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2014 12:00

Hard Crash is Imminent ! HELP

I have been having trouble lately  with my two year old Aurora-R4 such as many screen freezes. I ran Alien Autopsy and my C drive will not pass the test I get the message Drive Crash is Imminent. It looks like I'm going to have to install a new drive and  re-install  Windows 7 64 bit that came with the computer. I have the Alienware Windows 7 disk and the Alienware Resource DVDs that came with the computer. I have never re-installed an OS on to a new hard drive before and was wandering if there are any tips or things I should be aware of ?

Thanks for any help

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 20th, 2014 12:00

This is the way I clean install Windows7-64, and Dell's ways are linked inside also:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19376654.aspx

You can get true HDD SMART readings with Crystal DiskInfo, or use WD or Seagate tester.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/19530277.aspx

90 Posts

March 20th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for the help   I think my Aurora in UEFI mode and i see i might have to install some drivers from a thumb drive during installation of windows my question is how do i tell if i am using UEFI or Legacy mode? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 20th, 2014 15:00

how do i tell if i am using UEFI or Legacy mode? 

In the BIOS options.

So, with BIOS to:

SATA Mode = AHCI Mode (let us know if you require RAID Mode)

Boot Mode = UEFI

Win7-DVD should boot.

90 Posts

March 20th, 2014 17:00

checked my BIOS   Boot Mode is set to  " UEIF "and  SATA Mode is set to " RAID "   on statup the Intel Rapid Technology screen shows all drives set to "DISABLED "

I have never used a raid setup but wonder if i should leave setting as from dell,would it affect other things ?

90 Posts

March 20th, 2014 19:00

that is correct i have no RAIDed drives

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

that is correct i have no RAIDed drives

Then, right before clean install, set it to AHCI. After Win7 installs, chipset drivers first. Then normal drivers. Since BIOS is NOT set to RAID any more ... you can skip Intel-RST install completely and use the Microsoft supplied SATA drivers instead. You end up with a leaner install (and I and others say less problems).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

checked my BIOS   Boot Mode is set to  " UEIF "and  SATA Mode is set to " RAID "  

So, you have no RAIDed drives?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

It looks like I'm going to have to install a new drive

Good time to try a SSD.

Around 240gb would be good. I've tried Samsung and Kingston. Intel is also good.

90 Posts

March 23rd, 2014 12:00

I have one more question before I try to reinstall window 7. It appears I have to install a couple of drivers at the

"where do you want to install windows?" step. this dell guide

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=552481

says to " Extract and copy the contents of both files to a USB flashdrive"  I have done that, it then says to " browse to the Intel Chipset files and select them"

My question is do I select all the files that were extracted, there are files such as setup.exe and readme.exe do I worry about this or just select all files and the computer will load what it wants?

Thanks again for all your help

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 23rd, 2014 13:00

My question is do I select all the files that were extracted, there are files such as setup.exe and readme.exe do I worry about this or just select all files and the computer will load what it wants?

If set to AHCI as I said above, this should not be required at all.

Also, remove the Over-Clock on that nice 6-core processor. It will last longer and machine will run more stable in general.

No Events found!