Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2012 18:00

Help with MIO Board / Command Centre Problem

Guys,

I have an Aurora R3 which I purchased more than a year ago... around March 2011 I think it is. I've recently started getting problems with my Command Centre. The lights work and the CPU water pump works but I cant seem to control it anymore. It is saying that the light themes that I have is not compatible with my system. Also from time to time I am getting a USB unrecognized error which I suspect is the MIO board having problems connecting. Also the temperature reading is always at 0.

I think the problem started when I ran CCCleaner and I accidently deleted some .NET Framework registries... I've tried different ways of uninstalling/ reinstalling the command centre but still no luck. I have also reformated and reloaded a fresh copy of Windows 7 but still no luck. I doubt that the MIO board is completely broken as the lights work, it just stays on blue and doesnt change. From time to time I am also able to adjust the case fans thru command centre as well...

Your help is appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 6th, 2012 05:00

Frandaman,

* Click Start- Turn Off Computer- Turn Off
* Disconnect the PC power plug from the rear of the PC
* Hold the power button in for 10 seconds
* Reconnect the PC power plug
* Power the PC on
* Go into your Program Files and find the Alienware and then the Command Center folder
* Double click AlienwareAlienFXtester.exe
* Post the results

24 Posts

September 6th, 2012 06:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the response. I double clicked on AlienwareAlienFXTester.exe but its saying that "windows can't open this file" and its asking me to choose a program that can open that file. But if I click on the file above it which is the "AlienwareAlienFXTester"  application file. Where it asks me if the lights change everytime I click the button that works... meaning the colors change accordingly.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 6th, 2012 07:00

* Power on the system and run the Dell Diagnostics and make sure the MIO board is detected and tests good. If the Dell Diagnostics does not detect a MIO board at startup, the MIO board tests will not be available or listed. All the other tests that ARE listed, will likely test good. If this is happening, it must be corrected first. If the MIO board tests fail in Dell Diagnostics, there is really no chance it will operate in Windows with the Command Center software. If the Dell Diagnostics MIO board tests pass, this tells us quite a bit:
1. The MIO board is getting power
2. The MIO board is connected to the motherboard's USB-1 port header (and communication is working)
3. The MIO board is operational and not locked up or in a loop
4. The various devices (lights, fans, etc.) that the tests successfully exercised are connected properly
* Exit the Diagnostics and boot into Windows

Alienware Enhanced Systems Diagnostics (ePSA)
* Insert any Dell CD in the drive
* Close any windows that appear
* Restart the system
* At the Dell logo screen press F12
* At the One Time Boot menu, press the Down arrow key to highlight Diagnostics
* Press Enter to begin the Diagnostics
* The error codes can be found here http://dell.to/GD5XJJ

24 Posts

September 9th, 2012 18:00

Hi Chris,

I ran the system diagnostics as you suggested. I tried the Custom Test, Express Test and the Extended Test. The only error message I got is about my SSD. Everything works fine on my MIO board according to the tests I've done.

I also tried another re-install with Command Centre after that. The Command Centre worked ok on my first reboot. Then it started with the problems again after the second reboot later in the day. So it looks like I am back to square one. Should I just persist on the uninstall/re-install thingie or could you suggest another way to get this fixed?

Thanks

Francis

No Events found!