Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2011 06:00

Hibernation no-longer working after graphics card replacement

Hi all

M17x-r3

I have had my graphics card replaced due to an issue with the 3D not working.  This replacement didn't fix the issue as all that was needed was a BIOS update but ever since (before and after the BIOS update) I am no longer able to successfully resume from hibernation.

What could be a very important point is that then the graphics card was replaced I mistakenly hibernated the laptop before-hand rather than shutting it down.  With the new card in the system tried to resume and failed (just a black screen with a flashing cursor after the Resuming Windows screen) and it has never resumed successfully since.  I have to restart it and select to delete the hiberation data before starting windows normally.

I have checked through the event viewer and the only thing that I can see that is potentially related is:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Since I always use hibernation this is a big issue for me, therefore can you please advise me on a resolution to this (which isn't restoring to factory default).

Thanks

757 Posts

December 20th, 2011 12:00

You can try this to see if it resets. No garantee.

Accessories / right click on Command Prompt /Run as Administrator /

At the prompt ">" type

powercfg -h off

Restart computer and repeat the above but at the prompt type

powercfg -h on

Restart computer.

All this is doing is turning off then turning back on hibernation. Hopefully that will reset things and work for you.

757 Posts

December 21st, 2011 14:00

I might try uninstalling and cleaning up the registry of all the current drivers for your video card and then reinstalling the drivers.

Otherwise I found these topics.

Found this MS knowledge article.

Not sure if it will fix the problem or just hide it.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx

support.microsoft.com/.../950375

www.msfn.org/.../114389-heres-how-to-fix-wmi-event-id-10-instancemodificationeven

Not sure if this will work with W7

www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

53 Posts

December 21st, 2011 14:00

Thanks for the reply.  I was actually already aware of that command as the hibernation shut down option would randomly disappear and I would use that to reenable it.

I have tried the steps you described but unfortunately the problem persists.  Any further ideas?

2.4K Posts

December 21st, 2011 16:00

Did you check the BIOS settings after replacing the card? It could have been reset back to default. What you want to find is the sleep settings. S1,S2, and S3 options. Use S3 first and work back to S1 until you find one that will work.

I would also update the BIOS if you have not done it yet.

I would ignore the WMI error or you can hide it if you like. Just make sure windows is fully updated and then ignore it.

757 Posts

December 21st, 2011 19:00

Found this as well.

What causes 0X80041003 error?

The 0X80041003 error may be caused by windows system files damage. The corrupted system files entries can be a real threat to the well being of your computer.

There can be many events which may have resulted in the system files errors. An incomplete installation, an incomplete uninstall, improper deletion of applications or hardware. It can also be caused if your computer is recovered from a virus or adware/spyware attack or by an improper shutdown of the computer. All the above actives may result in the deletion or corruption of the entries in the windows system files. This corrupted system file will lead to the missing and wrongly linked information and files needed for the proper working of the application.

Run command prompt as administrator and type in

sfc/scannow

If there are any file errors this has a good chance of correcting them.

53 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 09:00

I've run the sfc command and it's completed 100% with no integrity issues.

53 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 09:00

Thanks for the reply.  I have looked at the BIOS (which is the most up to date version A08) and am unable to find any sleep settings in there.

757 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 10:00

53 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 14:00

"Have you uninstalled, cleaned registry etc, and then reinstalled your video drivers?"

Just tried all that but no difference :(

757 Posts

December 22nd, 2011 16:00

Sorry couldn't help. Not sure if you tried a restore point, but you can try that.

2.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2011 17:00

Thanks for the reply.  I have looked at the BIOS (which is the most up to date version A08) and am unable to find any sleep settings in there.

Look for a setting called Suspend Mode.

53 Posts

December 31st, 2011 17:00

Still struggling with the hibernation issue.  I thought I had it fixed, by doing a bunch of stuff, but it has stopped working again :(

Still had no luck finding the Suspend Mode in the Bios, anyone got any "screens" to show it actually exists?

No Events found!