Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 7th, 2013 10:00

Horrible Computer Service M17xR3

FIRST DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON ALIENWARE THEY WILL JUST BREAK AND THEY WILL JUST SEND YOU REFURBISHED CRAP AS A REPAIR. 

This has been my worst experience with a computer ever. I have had to have it repaired numerous times. I paid $3000.00 for it and it has broke time and time again. it shuts off right in the middle of whatever im doing. I have called tech support a dozen times and i they finally said they would send a me a new one and now it has been in production  for 8 days now and they don't know why. they just keep hanging up on me or putting me on hold for hours.

83 Posts

May 7th, 2013 13:00

well standard procedure  is 3 times for same issue then replace with a refurbed unit, this is stated in dells warranty policy , everything is stated but unfortunately no one reads it, the lettering needs a microscope to read... LOL

anyway usually  12-16 days   for replacement NOT INCLUDING WEEKENDS depending on location, I was in Northern Ontario Canada..  and 2  M17X R2 replacements took between that time. and 3rd was 4 weeks since  again policy 3 busted systems  got a new one :O

anyway calling don't help . most monkeys that answer don't know whats going on, you would need to talk to the person that authorized the replacement (should have got an email or they can find this anyway)

I said same as you .. after M17X R1 and 2500 bucks , don't waste money on dellienware.... a year after.. I just purchased a M18X R2 another 5k machine... only issue I got is software out of the box but meh  I figured that out

biggest thing is they attempted to repair... couldn't .. so it got replaced(in process)  if you would have known about the warranty procedures and policies , this may have gone smoother for you, this don't make it better that machine failed  but its always best to know your options before you call dell, makes life easier

1 Message

May 8th, 2013 21:00

That doesn't sound like the Alienware I've dealt with in the past.  Maybe you dealt with someone new?  I'd ask to speak with a supervisor.

Check out Notebook forums and other places on the web.  Alienware stands behind their products. When we buy an Alienware, we're not just buying the hardware.  Of course, to get that level of service maybe you need to buy the extended warranty. I did, after reading about folks who have been Alienware fans for years.  It was expensive, but well worth it.  For example, I had a small problem with my 18x where 1 out of 10 times after a hard boot, I would get an error where my sound card wouldn't be recognized.  After a while, it got annoying so I called tech support.  After one or two selections and maybe a couple of minutes on hold, I was speaking to an actual person.  My bank doesn't do that and I give them money every two weeks.  After describing the problem to him, he had me pull the battery, hold down the power button, and then restart.  The problem went away.  I tried to thank him and hang up, but he asked me to hang on for a moment.  After about four minutes I was about to hang up.  I gave it another minute and he came back.  He said he was going to issue me a replacement laptop because the problem I experienced would most likely come back.  I clarified that I love my 18xR2 and don't mind the issue.  I also didn't want a refurb because I take extra special care of my baby.  He assured me it would be a new unit.  About two weeks later, sure enough, a brand new 18xR2 with slightly better specs than my original showed up.  I put my old one in the box and shipped it back.  I haven't had one issue since.  Maybe it is because the 18x is their flagship, but I haven't had one problem.  Literally. No problems.  And I was one of the idiots who upgraded to Windows 8 right off the bat.  Alienware has kept releasing drivers for me and everything works.  Maybe things have changed since November when I contacted them.  But from my experience, Alienware quality and tech support are top notch.  We pay a premium, but we get quality products and service in return.  I won't buy anything else.  Try the supervisor route, maybe whoever you were dealing with wasn't up to speed.

Good luck!

No Events found!