Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

November 4th, 2011 01:00

How many revisions has the Area 51 been though?

I'm curious, how many times has the Area 51 (the current one with the top fins, not the older rounded glossy one) been though? Not what variation of CPUs, GPUs etc have been used, I mean the core hardware. Like, has the motherboard changed? What about the little boards that power and lighting and the like? Basically, if you brought an Area 51 when it first came out, would it be any different from one made recently?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 4th, 2011 01:00

Basically, if you brought an Area 51 when it first came out, would it be any different from one made recently?

No.

While there have been minor revisions to the motherboard, they have all been based on the X-58 chipset.

86 Posts

November 4th, 2011 02:00

"minor revisions"? Like what?

38 Posts

November 4th, 2011 16:00

You know like hardware enanchments and software upgrades nothing to be conserned about amy motherboard as been revised for 13 times! I supposed it was for the D0 stepping.

2.4K Posts

November 4th, 2011 17:00

The Area 51 motherboard is the same board that was used in the XPS 730x systems. It's about 4 years old.

86 Posts

November 4th, 2011 22:00

What kinda features would you be missing out on if you had one with an older motherboard?

2.4K Posts

November 6th, 2011 04:00

What kinda features would you be missing out on if you had one with an older motherboard?

None

431 Posts

November 6th, 2011 10:00

just usb 3.0. but in some other ways its actually a tad bit better than the newer boards.

86 Posts

November 6th, 2011 13:00

Area 51 has USB 3.0 support? When was this introduced?

71 Posts

November 6th, 2011 17:00

The Area-51 has an option for a USB 3.0 controller card in the configuration FireAza (at least in the American config). Was it you that posted not to long ago that you thought there was going to be a new model out because it disappeared from your countries websrte?  While the subject is on the Area-51, I think its absolutely pathetic that the Area-51 has not yet been updated and is still using a near dead platform. Yeah I know, the Sandy Bridge is considered a "mainstream" upgrade and not considered "enthusiest" Still, the 2600k Beats and in many cases, goes toe to toe in many of the benches ive seen against X58 chips. Other high end gaming PC companies are at least offering consumers a choice of the two in their configs. Dell should catch the heck up and do the same thing.

86 Posts

November 6th, 2011 23:00

Oh, I thought it had on-board USB 3.0 support.

Yeah, that was me, and since the Area 51 has dried up in Australia, I'm looking at other ways of getting one. One would be to buy a second hand one, but at the same time, I don't want to buy an older model, if a new one is coming out.

DELL!! PLEASE TELL US WHAT THE CURRENT SITUATION IS WITH THE AREA 51 IN AUSTRALIA!!

No Events found!