Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 28th, 2011 10:00

How to Update Alienware M15X's BIOS?

I've download the latest BIOS for my Alienware M15X, which is A09 from support.dell.com! It was a R293649.exe! When I try to run it, it just extract some files (not updating my BIOS)!

Also there's no instruction that I can find! Can anyone help me with this? How to update the BIOS? Thanks before!

2 Posts

March 1st, 2011 08:00

Nevermind, I found the instruction from here.

Here's the instruction

Custom Instructions for M15xA09.iso:

1. Bootable Flash Drive = Unzip M15xA09.zip and execute f.bat in DOS.
2. Bootable CD = Create CD from the included iso image. Boot to CD, BIOS and EC will automatically update.

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) of DOS Utility for R293649.exe

Download

1.Click the location, e.g. Americas, from which you want to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save this program to disk and click OK. The Save In window appears.
3.From the Save In drop-down menu, click to select Desktop and then click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If a Download Complete window appears, click Close. A new icon appears on your desktop.

Install

1. Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R293649.exe.
2. The Self-Extractor window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649. If you did not print these instructions, write down this path. The WinZip Self-Extractor window appears.
3. Click OK.
4. If the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it.
5. Create a DOS boot disk. For more information, refer to Dell Knowledge Base Article TT1014475 – “What can I use for a boot disk with CD-ROM support?”
6. Insert the floppy disk into the floppy drive and reboot the computer.
7. At the A:/> prompt, type C: and then press the [ENTER] key.
8. Type C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R293649 and then press [ENTER].
9. Follow the on-screen instructions.

1. Bootable Flash Drive = Unzip M15xA09.zip and execute f.bat in DOS.
2. Bootable CD = Create CD from the included iso image. Boot to CD, BIOS and EC will automatically update.

1 Message

October 26th, 2011 14:00

This tutorial isn't too helpful, since the files do not include an iso file.

Please could someone update this thread, or make sure that Dell supply instructions for their downloads actually on their site? Or is that beyond their abilities?

2 Posts

January 10th, 2013 14:00

i need help with that too!!!!!

1 Message

February 11th, 2013 11:00

Instead of clicking on 'Download File' link click on the 'Alienware-bios' link and it will show you to choices to dowload a zip file or a iso file. so after dowloading burn it as disc image.

158 Posts

February 11th, 2013 13:00

Hi, click the article below for the fix.

BIOS version A09 cannot be flashed in Windows 

3 Posts

December 18th, 2014 15:00

I am having this issue, and nothing has worked to prompt anything from DOS, after booting from a USB or DVD.   I tried saving the exe files on DVD and USB, and it won't boot the new BIOS from either.

USB: prompts a msg that says disk read error, press any button to reboot.

DVD: Goes straight to windows log-in.  

I saved the unzipped exe directly to the DVD, is there a certain exe that I need, or the whole file?

Please help, before I launch my laptop through Worst Buys front window.

Thanks~

April 9th, 2015 08:00

I know its a bit late, but its better late than never! I found the solution this morning! I don't who is how did this ISO but if i find him...grrrr. So After the download of the "M15x BIOS A09.iso", You need to use UltraIso to burn a bootable cd , but before we need to re-arrange an "idiot" mistake : all files should be at the root of the bootable cdImport the iso then click on the folder M15R1A09 and move all the 15 files to the root of the cd image. Then remove the M15R1A09 folder useless now. Ready ? Now Burn the CD/DVD Image! On Boot, click F12 , On Boot Selection Screen : Select Removal Storage/device or CD/DVD Device (depends of you) - it could arrive that the cd reader takes time to wake up, i did it twice this morning. The Phoenix Flash Utility will do its job ( in a blue screen). After Few Minutes, the terminal will prompt you to flash EC. Then the answer should be Yes as key entry : Shift + y, then the utility will do its job again and will terminate soudainly (don't be afraid its no a crash, its a flash, haha! [:D] )

*** Note : If you don't answer by the correct Y (Shift+y) , you'll have a bad command response and the prompt will tell you :        >R:\

So don't reboot, retype this command line (after the prompt >R:\) DFLASH EC_W670.118

then type correctly the Yes as (Shift+y)

Enjoy It! 

PS: I need the name of this Iso Maker !!!

No Events found!