Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2015 20:00

How to install a Samsung 950 Pro m.2 into an Alienware 17 R3 successfully.

What not to do:
Call Dell for Help
Look for a direct solution from other Alienware members
Look for a direct solution anywhere on the internet
Do not clean install Windows.
Do not use Recovery imaging.
Do not auto the cloning software.
Do not use Dell BIOS.  It doesn't matter if it doesn't detect it will still boot if you follow my method.
Experiment thinking there is an easier/better option.

I tried many steps from diskpart, and windows ISO usb. I tried migration.  I tried changing the IDs.

What to do:
Install the Samsung NVMe driver.
Use Macrium Reflect.
Close and detach all applications/peripherals even in taskbar by the clock.
Source is the HDD.  Destination is the SSD.
Drag the HDD partitions one by one to the destination bar.
Adjust the GB to accommodate the extra partitions.  I had to use 225.7GB for C: of 256GB (3rd partition from the left) which gave me extra space for the other 2 partitions (last 2).  The win something and recovery something.
If you use any other recovery imaging/cloning software it might not clone all partition data 1:1.  Samsung says it in the notes that it won't completely clone recovery partitions.
Turn PC off and remove HDD.  Put HDD on desktop and delete all partitions using cmd > diskpart > list disk > select HDD disk number > type clean > enter.
Put HDD into PC.  Turn PC on.
It might take 2 restarts for the SSD to completely work perfectly.  I had to go through a checking disk for errors once for it to work ultra smooth.

*If you still cannot boot you can load up a windows iso then go into cmd then type bootrec /rebuildbcd press y then enter then done

Done.

Results:

Lag and sluggishness is gone.  The constant 25W 100% C: usage from the slow HDD means battery life is longer.  I gained 2+ hours according to the "remaining".  It went 4.5 hours instead of 2.5 from an instant power supply disconnect.  980M

202 Posts

November 14th, 2015 12:00

This worked perfectly!  I used Paragon Disk Manager to clone the partitions to the Samsung 950 Pro. It would be nice if the BIOS let you select the boot drive without disconnecting the HDD (in my case a Samsung 850 Pro).  No reboots were necessary...it booted from the 950 Pro first time. Thanks ANTDX316

yeah

2 Posts

November 14th, 2015 09:00

This worked perfectly!  I used Paragon Disk Manager to clone the partitions to the Samsung 950 Pro. It would be nice if the BIOS let you select the boot drive without disconnecting the HDD (in my case a Samsung 850 Pro).  No reboots were necessary...it booted from the 950 Pro first time. Thanks ANTDX316

November 14th, 2015 23:00

That speed is impressive.  I have two 850 EVO's in RAID 0 and Your M.2 is way faster.

Thanks for the post.

202 Posts

November 15th, 2015 03:00

That speed is impressive.  I have two 850 EVO's in RAID 0 and Your M.2 is way faster.

Thanks for the post.

feels faster than my intel 400gb nvme on 5930k being on this alien 17 r3 950 pro 256gb

I go in and out of real-time Dota 2 games and alt tab like a beast with browsers up no problem.  The HDD lag is horrendous in comparison.  I thought SSD would work on netbook way back but nope.  The SSD is so quick the CPU cannot keep up and it's slow.

It should be illegal to sell a 2015 gaming laptop with HDD as C:.

November 17th, 2015 01:00

Were these bench marks taken with Rapid Mode enabled?

I don't have an an m.2 slot in my A/W 18 but I wonder if an SATA to M.2 adapter would yield similar speeds.

I think the M.2 is on the 10Gb/s PCI 3.2 bus.

I have been using my old HDD's for external USB storage.

202 Posts

November 17th, 2015 16:00

raid/achi doesn't work with NVME I think

it doesn't even get detected with intel RST

I just know things run ultra smooth and alt tabbing and multi tasking is no issue

105 Posts

November 20th, 2015 09:00

A quick FYI:

Anyone running the 950 Pro on anything but a device with a PCIe 3 M.2 interface is wasting their money.  SATA 3 maxes out at 600MB/s, which means you'll theoretically only gain ~60MB/s with the 950 Pro over that of the 850 Evo/Pro series.

•  You're registering speeds above that only due to RAPID mode, which utilizes the 1.5GB/s+ speeds of RAM to speed up transfers

It's a great write up, however you're making things far more difficult than they need to be with cloning a drive...

Many end users like the simplicity of using a third party program to "clone" a drive, however, as the writer touches on, this has some inconveniencing caveats.  There's not only an easier and far less complex way of accomplishing this natively with Windows via WIMs, it will also leave you with a complete backup of your partitions (something everyone should have).

Requirements  

• External Drive or secondary internal disk with free space equal to the largest partition you want to clone
    • I'll be using the drive letter  Z:\  to represent the External Drive
  • If you have:
    • Older [legacy] BIOS ( i.e. not UEFI ) firmware
      • You can proceed to the Steps below without issue 
      • If you're not familiar with DiskPart [command line], it's recommended you partition your new drive via the Windows GUI, prior to proceeding to the steps below.
        • Each created partition must be at least 11% larger than the original partition
          • It's obviously recommended you create a partition more than 11% larger, however 11% is the absolute minimum.
    • UEFI firmware
      1. Install new drive internally
      2. Boot into Windows Setup (using a DVD or USB drive)
        • This step prevents issues from occurring with the EFI GPT layout of the first three partitions.  We're not going to actually install Windows, we simply need setup to create the required partitions
      3. At first screen prompt, press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt, and type:
        1. diskpart
        2. lis dis
          • Find the new disk and remember it's disk #
        3. sel dis 0
          • Where 0 is the disk # for the new disk
          • The following commands assume the new disk is empty, as this will destroy all partitions on the new disk
        4. clean
        5. convert gpt
        6. exit
      4. Proceed through Setup until you reach the partition layout GUI.
        1. Select the new disk as the install disk
        2. Verify you have 3 partitions preceding the System partition (do not touch any of the partitions preceding the install partition)
          1. Resize the System partition to whatever size you wish 
          2. Create any additional partitions you want after the System partition
            • Each created partition must be at least 11% larger than the original cloned partition
              • It's obviously recommended you create a partition more than 11% larger, however 11% is the absolute minimum
            • If it allows you to specify where you want each subsequent partition to begin, increase the start MB by 1 for each one
        3. Click next for the install to begin, however, once the installer moves onto copying setup files (step 2 or 3), hit cancel.  
          • This will cancel the install, but leave the partitioning structure in place.
        4. Reboot and proceed to the steps below.

Steps

1. Boot into WinRE (Recovery) or WinPE (Pre-Installation Environment)
    1. Non-UEFI Firmware ONLY Using DiskPart, create and format the new drive with whatever size partitions you want.
      • Each created partition must be at least 11% larger than the original partition
        • It's obviously recommended you create a partition more than 11% larger, however 11% is the absolute minimum.
  2. In the command prompt, type:
    • Notepad
      • (while diskpart would accomplish the same, it may cause confusion for users with UEFI firmware)

3. Press CNTRL + O and navigate to This PC
    • Take note of which drive letters are assigned to the partitions you want to clone (drive letters often change in WinRE/WinPE)
  4. For each partition you want to clone, type the following (replacing the CaptureDir drive letter with the applicable drive letter of the partition you want to clone ):
    • DISM /Capture-Image /ImageFile:Z:\SystemPartition.wim /CaptureDir:C:\ /Name:"Windows 10 Pro" /Compress:Max /NoRpFix /CheckIntegrity /Verify
      • Compress: Max can be changed to Fast or None, however, it's recommended to leave it on Max, as these WIMs will also serve as backups once you've cloned the partitions.
      • You will need to perform this for every partition you want to clone
        • If you don't have a drive with enough capacity for more than 1 wim backup at a time, proceed to Step 6 and redo Steps 5 and 6 for each partition needing to be cloned.
  5. Apply the WIM backup to the new disk:
    • DISM /Apply-Image /ImageFile:Z:\SystemPartition.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:N:\ /verify
      • Where N: is the drive letter of the partition on the new drive you're applying the WIM to
  6. Once you've performed #5 and #6 for the System partition, and the new disk has been installed internally in HDD slot 0, you will need to perform the following commands for Windows to boot:
    1. Bootrec /FixMBR
    2. Bootrec /FixBoot
    3. Bootrec /RebuildBCD
  7. Reboot the PC
  8. For all other non-system partitions, the capture and apply commands can be performed from within Windows (within an Admin Command Prompt or Admin PowerShell Terminal)
    • The System partition can not be captured while system files are in use and is why you must be in WinRE/WinPE to do so.  
    • However, because the time it takes to capture a WIM image varies on the used capacity of the partition being imaged, it's recommended to do capture and apply commands on non-System partitions while booted from Windows, allowing you to still utilize the PC while the apply and capture commands are completing.

105 Posts

November 20th, 2015 23:00

Yes, RAPID mode would have had to have been enabled

No, a SATA to M.2 adapter will not make a difference since it's not the adapter, but the SATA 3 interface that limits the speed to a maximum 600MB/s

202 Posts

November 21st, 2015 05:00

To JW0914, wayyyyy too much info tl;dr applies here

105 Posts

November 21st, 2015 05:00

To JW0914, wayyyyy too much info tl;dr applies here

So providing a detailed response on a far easier way to clone a drive is too much information?  Or was it the fact I demonstrated why installing a 950 Pro in anything other than a device with a PCIe 3 M.2 interface was a massive waste of money?  **scratches head**

I'd assume in this specific situation, more information would be better than misinformation.  Perhaps you should take the time to read my post since you've repeatedly demonstrated you're not that knowledgeable about the issues I touched on.

• Instead of not reading something because it constructively criticizes your misinformed opinions, perhaps you should look at it as a learning opportunity.  Not only does your hubris shine brighter than the sun, it's simply ignorant to not read a post when the writer is politely showing you where your position went wrong on one issue, and offering help on the other.

Considering many with UEFI firmware have issues ensuring the 3 smaller partitions are configured correctly, it's simply easier for users not familiar with GPT partitioning for EFI on Windows to allow Windows Setup to setup and configure them.  Initially, I didn't have the UEFI part in there, however it's one of the most common issues users changing out drives have... If you're not going to do something right, don't do it all. 

105 Posts

November 21st, 2015 10:00

To provide a real world example of why the 950 Pro is a wasted investment unless you have a PCIe 3 M.2 interface, compare my screenshot below of my 850 Evo mSATA to the results of the 950 Pro hooked to a SATA interface.

4722.Screenshot (466).jpg

November 21st, 2015 19:00

So 850 series, and the like, basically max out the SATA port (@~600MB/S in a real world scenario).  

Thanks!  Rob.

105 Posts

November 21st, 2015 21:00

So 850 series, and the like, basically max out the SATA port (@~600MB/S in a real world scenario).  

Thanks!  Rob.

No... not exactly.   The 850 Series maxes out at 550/520 for Pro and 540/520 for Evo [R/W].

Samsung utilizes RAPID mode to essentially create a virtual RAM drive on the backend, and since RAM transfers at speeds in excess of 1.5GB/s, you experience a phenomenal increase in file transfer speed.  However, RAPID mode is only able to do this for one SSD, regardless of how many are installed.  

Anyone wishing to can use a small program called ImDisk to create a virtual RAM drive, however anything you store on it takes away from available system RAM.  While it comes in extremely handy when needing to make large file transfers or for transferring many small files, it carries some risk since RAM erases as soon as power is lost.  So if a desktop loses power or you reboot, all information left on the virtual RAM drive will be wiped.  Provided the end user keeps this in mind, almost anyone can find a use for using it.

202 Posts

November 22nd, 2015 23:00

I had supercache 5 for that kind of stuff.  I was getting 6.6GB sustain on DDR3 1600.  Now they have supercahce 6 and I have DDR4 2133.  I need to wait for them to give me my license again.

49 Posts

November 24th, 2015 00:00

I agree with @AntDX316. Your heart  may be in the right place @JW0914, but your directions are unnecessarily complicated when simply cloning from 1 disk to another accomplishes the same task without subjecting the user to potential showstopping errors.  The command line and disk portioning  aren't something novices should be toying with.

No Events found!