Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2014 05:00

How to stop udating

i just got an alienware laptop about a week now. Up till now, every 2 days it updated my laptop (eg: when it says need to restart to update) and took up about 1 GB of my hardrive everytime. Im just wondering if the update every going to stop because i dont wanna keep using up my hardrive. If the update is keep on coming, how can i stop it?

March 13th, 2014 15:00

well thats the problem, I dont know what is it that was updating. Just every now and then my laptop says "Need to restart to update", so everytime i turn off the laptop, it updates and takes up about 1 GB and it has been happening a few times already

1.8K Posts

March 13th, 2014 15:00

Hi!

Please provide more information regarding this topic. Are you talking about Windows Updates, drivers or other software? 

March 13th, 2014 16:00

can you please tell me what are the updates an alienware have?

i think i know a few like NVDIA driver something

note: i havent install any complicated softwares yet so Im pretty sure it is one of the softwares that comes with the laptop when I got it

1.8K Posts

March 13th, 2014 16:00

I need more information about these updates in order to assist you,  Try to find out what kind of updates the computer is doing, and what application or program is causing this.

Let me know.

1.8K Posts

March 13th, 2014 17:00

Driver updates are mostly done manually. The NVIDIA GeForce Experience will notify you when there's a new driver from your graphics card from NVIDIA and will ask for permission to install it. Other Alienware applications such as AlienAutopsy, Command Center and AlienRespawn will notify you if there's an update when you open the application and also ask for permission to install it. Windows Updates are usually automatic, you can turn them off from the Control Panel.

Next time the computer attempts an update, check for the name of the program that's being updated or take a screenshot of it before you restart.

March 13th, 2014 17:00

thank you for the info, next time if it happens again I will take a photo

No Events found!