Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2014 04:00

I got my Alienware 18 laptop spilt with water

I was just playing Call of Duty, when all of a sudden, the table's leg gave way and the cup of water I have on the table poured all over the laptop.I immediately turned it off and unplugged it from its charger. Out of panic I took my shirt of and rubbed it over the laptop and got most of the water off, except for under the keyboard. And in the process of mashing every single button at once, the laptop crashed and restarted 2 times before powering back on properly.I then took some Q-tips and managed to soak up some of the water, and I decided to tilt and put the laptop upside down, and oddly only 2 drops of water came off. Does that mean water got inside the laptop? I let the laptop dry for 2 hours and no problem is occurring. And what I am asking now is what should I do next, what is the Dell Support Hotline or Email in Australia, and will there be a negative effect on my laptop?

P.S.- The amount of water that was on my cup about the same us in a tea-cup.

Update: I have not removed the battery of the laptop, in fear that it might void the warranty. But the laptop doesn't seem to be affected at all.

Please move this to the right category if I have this on the wrong one.

November 8th, 2014 04:00

Update: I forgot to mention is that I cannot remove the battery because its under a screwed up panel, and by removing that panel, I might void the warranty I have on the laptop.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

November 8th, 2014 12:00

As soon as it happened, you should have unplugged it, pulled battery, and turn-off completely.

If keyboard has "spill vents" underneath, let water vent. Otherwise, turn upside down like a tent on a towel.

Let dry for 24-48 hours. Air compressor and hair drier might help to dry. Must be completely dry before turning back on again.

Good it was just water ... Should work fine after that.

November 8th, 2014 20:00

I did unplugged it, and turned it off, but I cant pull the battery off since opening the panel of the laptop will void my warranty on it. I did use a fan to help on evaporating some of the water on it.

BTW. I am using the laptop right now and i'm not seeing a single problem. I think I am in the clear. Just in case I will try to keep on having the fan blowing on it to get excess water off it.

November 8th, 2014 22:00

What I tested after I turned the laptop on:

• F12 on Startup to test the fans, Fans seems to be normal.
  • All USB Terminal Working
  • All AlienFX lights and colours working
  • Ethernet Cable Working
  • Charging Port Working
  • All Headset Port/Jack are working
  • All keyboard keys tested and all working properly
  • Touchpad is working perfectly

The only thing I noticed seems to be:(I dont really know because I rarely use Ctrl+Alt+Del on this)

• Task Manager activated through Ctrl+Alt+Del takes a bit of time to open up
  • Games such as Cod: Advanced Warfare crashed the whole laptop when I picked "Gamemode" in Private Match.(I do have a bit of problems with the game)
  • The Sims 3 seems to be fps dropping(while BF3 and Advanced Warfare are stable)

I dont know if the problems are related to me spilling water on the laptop or they were there since I got the laptop.

Thats all the problems I noticed with the laptop so I think I am in the clear.

Please reply of you think the 3 problems I have could be related to the spilt water

1.2K Posts

November 9th, 2014 10:00

First off opening the laptop up doesn't void warranty unless you break something in the process

Spilling water on other hand does void warranty unless you got accidental damage so why would  you worry about warranty in either case  ...

Water itself don't  hurt your system directly it's the minerals in the water that conduct the power and after dried can still cause issue this is why distilled water is used in car battery's. ..no minerals

Watch system closely if water did not get past the keyboard  worst might be to keyboard  in the end if anything happens

November 10th, 2014 00:00

I just opened it up, and when I took a look inside, it was pretty much dry, I check it carefully looking for any signs if water got inside, and even checked the battery, but it was completely dry.

No Events found!