Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2011 19:00

I need the latest nvidia

I have a new M18x and the driver is old, i downloaded the driver from nvidia and it wouldnt work. Help plaese.

9 Posts

July 28th, 2011 20:00

I was getting issues with the witcher 2

52 Posts

July 28th, 2011 22:00

well thats your call- if an OEM does not use a reference card then the drivers will not be reference- so I was giving you one option, but yours is another way as well.  Good luck!!!

2.4K Posts

July 29th, 2011 10:00

Obviously it is work intensive to keep on updating the numerous drivers for the many available cards Dell sells.  But if you sell something, particularly if you sell a customised product, as appears to be the case for some of the graphic cards, you should support it for at least a while and clearly state your support expiry date if you intent to limit your support after a given period.  And yes I can appreciate a certain time lag in posting a newer dell tested driver after an update by the manufacturer.  

I was lucky with my Area 51 ALX and my two ATI 5970's in being able to update the drivers and the related software (CCC) with the latest driver from ATI without any problems.  Incidentally, before updating the driver from ATI I confirmed with Dell that that would not void my guarantee. Not sure if that if that holds true for all systems/cards, so keep that in mind.  

I'm still puzzled and what makes Dell's driver support for graphic cards even more difficult to understand, that my Nov. 2010 replacement unit had a Dell referenced driver version which was newer than the one available to-day on Dell's site.  It's even newer that the listed "Beta" driver on that site. Go figure.

If Dell at least would issue a document outlining "stock" and "customized" cards and state that for "stock" cards Dell will not issue updated drivers but that customers should get them from the manufactures, even if at "customers' own risk" as is usually stated even by the manufacturer when installing such. it would be of help.

I agree. If you buy a system and extended warranty then you should have driver support for the life of that warranty. 

17 Posts

July 30th, 2011 01:00

I did a look up on this and went to the website:

www.hardwareheaven.com/nvmodtool.php

The latest nVidia cards aren't listed: 460M, 470M, etc. They list the regular 460, but not the "M" version.

Provided this is the right tool... ???

17 Posts

July 30th, 2011 03:00

FYI Everyone with an M17X R3 460M card: I downloaded the 269.03 580M driver from Dell Support to try updating my driver from the 460M 267.64 driver version Dell has on their download site.

I figured I'd try this since nVidia always seems to pack their drivers together for those range of cards.

Well, it unpacked, installed, and is working like a champ.

So for anyone running an Alienware laptop with a GTX 460M, I'd suggest trying the 580M upgrade. Note that before I did this I made a System Image backup of my machine just in case something went wrong.

Same advice applies. :-)

18 Posts

July 30th, 2011 08:00

Hey all

The GTX460M cards have all had driver issues since Dell started using them, it is strange you can't use the nVidia ones as with the old GTX260M card you could use them.

I have found the drivers on :

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com

To work fine with the GTX460M card fitted to the M15x Laptops, I see no reason why it wont work with the ones in the M17x R3 and M18x.

You DO need to read the instructions on the website as you have to download the driver and then download a modified .inf file as well, unpack the driver but don't install it as it will fail.

You then need to put the modified .inf file into the folder you unpacked the driver to, if it asks you to copy and replace your in the right place.

Then you should be set to install the updated driver by running the install .exe, make sure you do a custom install and select the check box to do a Clean Install.(this will delete all previous nVidia drivers to avoid conflicts)

Don't forget if you want to go back to the Dell driver you can do a system restore as the system will create a restore point for you before it installs the driver.

14 Posts

August 1st, 2011 07:00

Hey all

The GTX460M cards have all had driver issues since Dell started using them, it is strange you can't use the nVidia ones as with the old GTX260M card you could use them.

I have found the drivers on :

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com

To work fine with the GTX460M card fitted to the M15x Laptops, I see no reason why it wont work with the ones in the M17x R3 and M18x.

You DO need to read the instructions on the website as you have to download the driver and then download a modified .inf file as well, unpack the driver but don't install it as it will fail.

You then need to put the modified .inf file into the folder you unpacked the driver to, if it asks you to copy and replace your in the right place.

Then you should be set to install the updated driver by running the install .exe, make sure you do a custom install and select the check box to do a Clean Install.(this will delete all previous nVidia drivers to avoid conflicts)

Don't forget if you want to go back to the Dell driver you can do a system restore as the system will create a restore point for you before it installs the driver.

Agree entirely with above.  I installed the Nvidia WQHL 270.50 drivers with the .inf file into the display drivers folder (copy and replace) after unzipping and installing the drivers file.  No issues.

Shame on you Dell for making your end users figure this stuff out on the fly when your engineer's should be updating the GPU drivers more frequently!

No Events found!