Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2011 19:00

I need the latest nvidia

I have a new M18x and the driver is old, i downloaded the driver from nvidia and it wouldnt work. Help plaese.

9 Posts

July 27th, 2011 20:00

yeah, my buddy just told me that he doesnt get them from nvidia, he waits and gets them from the manufacture of the card like his is asus. dell needs to get on the ball and get the new one, this one is from march.

6 Posts

July 27th, 2011 20:00

I am in the same boat - I cant play games with my M17 R3 cause of the driver date and I cant download from the NVIDIA site.

2.4K Posts

July 28th, 2011 05:00

Don't hold your breath for drivers from Dell. Many people have bought systems over the years only to have Dell stop making drivers.

With a Desktop more often then not ( not always ) you can get away with Nvidia or ATI drivers but with a laptop you can't. I'm sorry to say this but this is why I won't own a laptop made by Dell. The support at max is a year then the drivers always stop.

Do this. Go to the Dell site and look up any system in the driver download section. Look at the driver date and compair it to the system date. Try to find one that is being supported for the length of an extended warranty..you wont find any.

I bought my system 16 months ago with dual GTX 295. The last time they released a driver for them was also 16 months ago and they will never ever release another driver for them. I'v seen them do this before so the first thing I did was install the stock Nvidia drivers and if they wouldn't have installed I would have sent the sytem back on the spot. Why pay for something you cant use.  

6 Posts

July 28th, 2011 06:00

Dell/Alienware

Please respond back today on a fix for this. I have no intention of keeping a laptop I paid 3k for that is not a year old and already outdated due to you not updating drivers in a timely manner. I literally have a game that will NOT let me play due to my video card driver date.

215 Posts

July 28th, 2011 07:00

it's better to just wait until Dell FINALLY places the latest drivers of what you need in their download section.  Since you need it asap, follow what Mik3D75 said and go directly to the card's manufacturer.  

I am intrigued by that M18X.  how is it like?  Is it something you can take to, let's say, Starbucks to just watch movies and surf the web?  Or is it too big for the small tables?   how heavy is it?  Just curious...

6 Posts

July 28th, 2011 09:00

Well i was literally on hold for an hour just to talk to someone on the alienware side. Was told to send in an email stating what the issue was so they could pass it on to engineering. I am in the same boat on sending this back. From what I was told they are getting a Ton of calls on this. I also have a co-worker who also picked up a m17x r3 and I am going to warn him on this insanity.

20 Posts

July 28th, 2011 10:00

Mik3D75,

Do that. I recently built my own and couldn't be happier. Cheaper and better. And as far as the drivers go, you can be sure that they will be available for as long as your computer lives on.

9 Posts

Yeah I just got off the phone with customer care and I am sending it back today and he said I would get my refund quickly because I emailed a supervisor about this and they dont want to upset me by having me wait two weeks for the refund. I warn everybody not to buy alienware. they are overpriced and obsolete day you get it.

431 Posts

FYI for people with issues looking for a better price/performance. The Asus laptops. 17inch,sandybridge i7, gtx 460, 8gb ram, 750gb HDD, usb 3.0 for only 1,200. oh and you get a free xbox :)

9 Posts

I think I will just build a new desktop instead.

280 Posts

July 28th, 2011 11:00

Obviously it is work intensive to keep on updating the numerous drivers for the many available cards Dell sells.  But if you sell something, particularly if you sell a customised product, as appears to be the case for some of the graphic cards, you should support it for at least a while and clearly state your support expiry date if you intent to limit your support after a given period.  And yes I can appreciate a certain time lag in posting a newer dell tested driver after an update by the manufacturer.  

I was lucky with my Area 51 ALX and my two ATI 5970's in being able to update the drivers and the related software (CCC) with the latest driver from ATI without any problems.  Incidentally, before updating the driver from ATI I confirmed with Dell that that would not void my guarantee. Not sure if that if that holds true for all systems/cards, so keep that in mind.  

I'm still puzzled and what makes Dell's driver support for graphic cards even more difficult to understand, that my Nov. 2010 replacement unit had a Dell referenced driver version which was newer than the one available to-day on Dell's site.  It's even newer that the listed "Beta" driver on that site. Go figure.

If Dell at least would issue a document outlining "stock" and "customized" cards and state that for "stock" cards Dell will not issue updated drivers but that customers should get them from the manufactures, even if at "customers' own risk" as is usually stated even by the manufacturer when installing such. it would be of help.

52 Posts

July 28th, 2011 16:00

EVERY Dell laptop I own uses the latest reference drivers.  You all should look into this a bit more.  My sitiuation may be a bit differnt but I bet I can run them.

Here is what I do- (Note I use this on both of my Studio XPS 1640 machines)  My machines are equipped with AMD/ATI graphics card 46xx series- Dell does not provide adequate support so, I use a utlity call "Mobility Modder"  It cleans the reference card drivers and preps them for installation on a Dell machine.

I am sure such a tool exists for Nvidia as well.  Has anyone looked?  

I have not had any problems installing AMD/ATI drivers and run the latest.  So community if you have AMD/ATI you know what to do, and if you have Nvidia start googling and lets find answers to help everyone.

-Jim

52 Posts

July 28th, 2011 17:00

Oh and FYI-

A quick google in fact shows there is an Nvidia modder as well.  I hope this solves most users issues.

1.2K Posts

July 28th, 2011 20:00

well first off what game wont let you load since older driver? i run  drivers that are older since it more stable for me with my voltmod/overclock on my desktop  and run crysis to portal to css to bf to tf  and so on  .. nothing refuses to load just warnings that driver is outdated

9 Posts

July 28th, 2011 20:00

good suggestion, except I dont think I should have to "mod" a $4000.00 laptop. It doesnt matter as I have returned it and I am just going to build a desktop more powerful and at a fraction of the price. I was looking for a desktop replacement but Im just gonna stick with a desktop.

No Events found!