Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 5th, 2013 08:00

Installing a SSD

Hey guys,

I'm looking for detailed instructions on the process of installing a SSD into my Alienware Aurora. I've found a decent video of putting the hardware into my computer, so I really just need help on what to do after that.

I understand that you need to re install windows, so essentially I need help with that process. I know there's a specific order you need to install the drivers but every page I've looked at has conflicting instructions.

If someone could link me something that shows me how to re install windows 7 properly on my Aurora, that would be awesome.

Thanks!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 5th, 2013 14:00

You didn't say which you have, but for Aurora (aka Aurora R1) with x58 chipset, see this:

en.community.dell.com/.../20285883.aspx

I think IMS might be the Over-Clocking thingy. When I clean installed on my SSD a while back, I skipped that (it didn't work anyway) and Intel-RST. I now have lean install running on Microsoft HDD drivers ... works nicely.

Beware of Intel-RST. It's optional in a non-RAID setup anyway.

en.community.dell.com/.../20290116.aspx

Again, see my #1 Favorite Thread.

2.4K Posts

February 5th, 2013 13:00

I think this is what you are looking for

How to install Windows 7 in an Alienware Computer
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=549172&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 5th, 2013 13:00

support.dell.com/.../document

Also see Favorite Thread in my Sig.

21 Posts

February 5th, 2013 14:00

Thanks guys.

Quick follow-up question.  The guide says to install the Chipset driver first, but when I look up the drivers for my computer's model on Dell's website, it doesn't even list a Chipset driver (when filtering with my service tag). If I take the filter off, it shows 2 Chipset drivers. How do I know which one to install?

Same thing with the "Intel Management System" which is the 2nd driver I install. Where do I even find that? Does it change with a SSD?

Sorry for being so clueless :/

Thanks again

757 Posts

February 5th, 2013 21:00

Starting from scatch and reinstalling W7 along with everything else can be a good idea especially if you we're having issues. However a clean install can be a pain and present other other issues. Another route, if you are happy with how your old drive was set up, is to simply clone the drive onto your new SSD. While SSD's require an empty space between tracks (groups of data) and HDD's do not, you can still clone onto your SSD using software called Acronis. This software will automatically put an empty space on the 64th section of the track to allow the SSD to function at its proper speed. Once you are ready to clone it will take 20 minutes or so to complete. You can purchase and download the Acronis on-line or if you bought an INTL SSD a scaled down version of Acronis comes included. Just another option to consider.

21 Posts

February 6th, 2013 18:00

Okay ONE more question...

Which Serial ATA driver do I install? You mentioned that you're running on Microsoft HDD drivers but which one is it? I'm getting 7 options when filtering with my service tag on Dell's website.

Your thread on clean installing windows 7 is phenomenal by the way!

Thanks so much.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 6th, 2013 19:00

Which Serial ATA driver do I install? You mentioned that you're running on Microsoft HDD drivers but which one is it? I'm getting 7 options when filtering with my service tag on Dell's website.

Your thread on clean installing windows 7 is phenomenal by the way!

The Microsoft HDD driver comes with Windows-7. The only other part is the Intel x58 Chipset drivers (includes ICH10 sata driver) from:

INTEL_CHIPSET-SOFTWARE-A03-R239508.exe  2,612,432 bytes

Thanks.

No Events found!