Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2016 19:00

Intel rapid storage technology (RST) will not start.

Alienware Area-51 R2

One SSD drive only.  Upon boot up the event log shows:

Faulting application name: IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe, version: 14.8.0.1042, time stamp: 0x5639dd97
Exception code: 0xc0000005

OR

The Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

Intel rapid storage technology does not start.  Installed the latest driver for this from Dell. Still no luck.

Suggestions?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 13th, 2016 22:00

You can try uninstalling it. However, IIRC ... this only uninstalls the Front-End program (not the core driver).

Unfortunately, I think you are stuck with it ... unless you clean-install Windows-10 (I suggest BIOS Options UEFI, Secure-Boot, and AHCI) and then never install Intel-RST.

If it won't uninstall completely, all you can do is update it. Try this newer version v15.2.0.1020

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-Intel-RST-RAID-Driver

8 Posts

December 14th, 2016 17:00

Sadly upon trying I get "the following platform is not supported"  ?!??!?

What gives? Brand new machine.  Windows 10.  

Thoughts?

Shane

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 14th, 2016 18:00

Thoughts?

Yeah, reminds me how much I hate Intel-RST. My thoughts revolve around how much trouble it causes for so little return. Not being able to get rid of it without a clean-install tops the list (I don't touch it, so not sure if that is still the case).

Here is a "copy and paste" from my old Windows-7 Install Guide posted on this forum:

=================================================

The Intel Storage software (Intel-RST) is optional in a non-RAID environment.
If running a RAID HDD setup some say it's recommended. Install Intel RST 9.6.0.1014 (or latest newer version).
Once installed, it replaces the Microsoft HDD driver and CANNOT be un-installed or removed. Even when you think you are un-installing it ... it's the front-end interface that's removed and the core-driver stays behind.
The Intel ICH-10r SATA hardware RAID solution works from the BIOS. The Intel RST software is just a way to monitor and change RAID parameters from inside Windows (but not required for RAID operation).
If trying to use external eSata drives with port-multiplexing, (due to incompatibilities) you
should probably skip it. Other RAID controllers might also have a problem with it installed.
I'm running a Samsung 830 SSD these days. System works great with no Intel-RST (now or ever installed).

I've always had this opinion of Intel-RST. However, I just found this on a knowledgeable IT pro's forum post (he works in the HDD/NAS/RAID field):

Advantages of the Intel-RST Software installation:
1. AHCI and RAID: monitoring of some details regarding the drives, which are connected to the Intel SATA AHCI resp.RAID Controller
2. only RAID: creation, repairing and modification of a RAID array from within the OS
3. only RAID: enabling of the "Write-Back-Caching" feature (boost of the write performance in RAID mode)

Disadvantages of the Intel-RST Software installation:
1. extension of the boot time
2. additional demand of resources (the IRST Service usually runs permanently in the background)
3. possible increase of system instability (some IRST Software versions have severe bugs)

And finally, there was a major driver architecture change at Intel-RST v11.5.0.1149 and later. So, if you must use it (please don't) and the latest version doesn't work, try an older version like v10.1.0.1008.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 14th, 2016 19:00

Maybe it will only install if machine (BIOS) is still in RAID-Mode? But not sure that holds-up since it would have to be for it to get on there in the first place.

Not sure how Dell is shipping machines these days (or it they are all shipped the same way).

I do know that between:

UEFI or Legacy
SecureBoot On or Off
AHCI or RAID Mode
Intel-RST being installed or not

... that's lots of different combinations. In my opinion, for Windows-10 (64bit) there is only one best way. After the OS is installed, not all options or decisions can be changed by simply "throwing a switch".

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 30th, 2016 14:00

Involved Alienware support. Since my box has just one HD and is NOT raid, it was decided to uninstall RST as it served no purpose.

Good.

That likely only uninstalled the front-end (not the core-driver) but since that is the part you were having a problem with you should be fine.

According to some recent testing I did on a client's system, on Win-10/64 with machine in RAID-Mode this is normal expected behavior.

8 Posts

December 30th, 2016 14:00

Involved Alienware support. Since my box has just one HD and is NOT raid, it was decided to uninstall RST as it served no purpose.

No Events found!