Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2013 17:00

Is the Alienware m17xR3 gpu replaceable?

My graphics card on my alienware m17xR3 isn't working properly and I am wondering if I can upgrade my graphics card, or at least replace it with another of the same graphics card?

500 Posts

December 19th, 2013 18:00

Absolutely, it is rather easy in actuality. I have swapped out a card on the r3 a number of times. The attached video will give you a step by step guide on how to do so. 

The r3 is best with the 500 series cards or the 675m. These cards work best with the PCI slot. You can use other 600 series cards, but they will not get full potential because they are for PCI 3.0, and the r3 is PCI 2.0. However, there is some backwards compatabilities there. Always be sure to update your drivers and bios. 

It may also help to troubleshoot some of your issues before swapping out the card. If you would like some help with that, please let me know :)

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vEk_ZFAzLI:550:0]

2 Posts

December 19th, 2013 19:00

well my PC black screens when I install the drivers for the integrated AND dedicated graphics, they seem to work fine seperately. Do you think the issue might be with the motherboard?

No Events found!