Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2012 17:00

Is the X51 reliable?

After a long time browsing through the forum and the Reviews that the x51 has received, ive decided it would be the perfect gaming pc for me.

But im concerned about all these problems people are talking about.

All i would like to know is if these problems still exist and if so, how do i fix them?

Im talking about the Random crashes and BSOD.

96 Posts

July 15th, 2012 20:00

I'm not being funny, but I would wait a little longer.  There seems to be too many problems with alienwares latest systems to be certain of a good purchase at the moment. Lurk around the forum for a while, see how many issues get fixed, then decide.

I can tell you that it's the most frustrating thing in the world paying a tremendous amount of money for a system that does nothing but crash and BSOD. It's disheartening to say the least.  Also, there seems to be a lack of support for the current issues such as BSOD's and system failures.

My advice, wait a little while and then decide for yourself.

133 Posts

July 15th, 2012 21:00

Yeh as above the system hasnt been out long enough to answer that question. It's only been out since feb-2011. I've had my system since march, no problems what so ever.

Only time will tell us if the system is truly "reliable". My old pc laster over 5 years. My original PS3 lasted 4 years with no problems. I hope the x51 is no different...

245 Posts

July 15th, 2012 23:00

Also keep in mind that you're on a support forum where people come when they have problems.  This means you are more likely to see posts about people having issues here rather than the tons of people that have units that are working just fine and are busying playing games on their X51 systems.  

Granted Bills is an exception as he's fine but likes to help his fellow gamers. bravo to bills for that :-)

133 Posts

July 16th, 2012 00:00

@mav

lol thanks but i actually found this forum due to another problem. They sent me the wrong external PSU, the AW staff didnt understand that the x51 has an EXTERNAL PSU. So they wanted me to send the wholse system back! haha came on here and got it sorted :) but i still stick around to help.

11 Posts

July 16th, 2012 02:00

The system is a good system and my case was probably one of the isolated case of the manufacturing process in Dell (loosely plugged power cables). Just don't expect the Dell tech guys to be very familiar with the system when they come to support, I don't think they have much experience in support this system, let alone their phone support.

66 Posts

July 16th, 2012 05:00

I monitored this forum for a couple of months and I must say I was scared away from the X51.  I wasn't looking to tinker and modify the X51 like many here are capable of doing.  I just wanted an alienware pc that was solid.  I wound up getting an certified refurbished R3 for about the same price as the mid level X51.  Knock on wood I have had no problems.  I liked the X51 form factor, but I think I made the right choice.  The R3 came with a 875w power supply and a AMD 6870 gpu, so I am good to upgrade my gpu without any hassle.  Good luck with your decision.

2 Posts

July 16th, 2012 13:00

I Think i might just do that. ill lurk the forums and reviews every now and then for a month or two. if it seems like the problems have mostly been fixed then ill consider the purchase again :) Thanks for the feedback.

96 Posts

July 16th, 2012 19:00

Your welcome :-)

If you do decide to buy one, good luck with the system, and I hope everything goes well for you.  Good thing about this forum is that it is full of good people who have a good idea about what they are talking about (unlike other forums I have been on).  I am sure any problems you do have, there will always be someone here to help and provide support and suggestions.

1.2K Posts

July 16th, 2012 19:00

see for me asking if a computer is reliable is like asking if microsoft will ever be better then apple

parts are so mass produced nowadays and seem to have a much much higher failure rate then 10+ years ago. i know i still got my very first laptop (thinkpad 365XD)  paid 2800 bucks  in 1995 with win 95  , guess what its still functional today...

today im lucky to have a system last a year without an issue of something failing or failed  wether its my computer  or my new vehicle ... this is what warranties are for (when then honour them) so if issues arise its covered .....

goodluck in anyaccount on whatever you purchase, just dont expect years and years of trouble free system specially with all the viruses and so on nowadays compared to previous ..

11 Posts

July 16th, 2012 20:00

Yeap, with the increase of performance, heat, storage capacity, there are just so many things that could go wrong...

No Events found!