Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

October 1st, 2017 14:00

Is this RAM compatible with my PC (Aurora R6)?

Hello everyone. Just bought this Ram "Kingston Hyper X Fury HX426C15FBK2/16 16 GB 2 x 8 GB DDR4-RAM 2666 MHz CL 15-17-17" Link here PC-Arbeitsspeicher Kit Kingston Hyper X Fury HX426C15FBK2/16 16 GB 2 x 8 GB DDR4-RAM 2666 MHz CL 15-17-17 . After i removed my 16gb Ram in order to switch it with the new pair of 2x8gb, the alienware sign started to blink 4 times in orange/yellow. So i'm not sure if my system is not compatible with it or if the new pair of rams are having an issue. Already tried different slots (first time the two white ones, second time the two black ones and third time one black and one white) as well, outcome is still the same. Does anyone know which would be the case or maybe a different reason? I would be really happy, if one of you guys could help me. I just want to have a dual ram of at least 16gb in my PC. 

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 10:00

Thank you for the fast reply. XMP1 or XMP2?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

Hi ‌,

Boot the system up with the old RAM so you can update the BIOS to the latest version in our website. Also enter the BIOS and enable the XMP. 

Then try again. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

You're welcome and it will be XMP2

5 Posts

October 2nd, 2017 11:00

Tried XMP2 now (double checked if it's saved and the second time my ram was working with 2667MHz) and used the two white slots for the dual ram, still the four yellow blinks from the alienwaresign are showing up.

October 2nd, 2017 16:00

The original R6 came with a single 16GB 2400 stick. They have since put in 2 x 8GB 2400 sticks. In theory, even if the 2667 isn't supported, the ram "should" downshift to 2400 CL14-16-16 @1.2V. The Kingston ram is very good and has excellent reviews. Is it possible to install paired, but not in XMP profile? Make sure the voltage is at 1.2V? Restore everything in BIOS (UEFI) to default?

5 Posts

That's the screenshot if my singular RAM atm. I mean once i have heard that the Alienware PC's are only excepting RAM's which you have bought from Dell itself.

5 Posts

Already tried to install it without changing the XMP (first try) and yeah, the voltage is at 1.2V. The BIOS should still be default because except the XMP, i haven't changed anything and the XMP resetet itself back to normal, so the OC option is disabled again.

Well, I'm not sure what your original config was. This is a screenshot of one of my memory sticks (the other is identical) that came installed with my R6 for comparison of what you can see. I'm about to install another set of 2 x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / 2400MHz and I am hoping your post is not an omen of things to come. I'm subscribing to this post.

October 3rd, 2017 14:00

I did receive my 2 x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / 2400MHz RAM today. Installed just fine - just not with existing Dell RAM. I can either put in the G.Skill by themselves or put the Dell RAM back in. I can't run both. If I try, I get the dreaded "blink 4 times in orange/yellow".  You're theory of having to by Dell RAM shouldn't be the answer, but it might be. Attached is a screenshot of the new G.Skill. Too bad I'm sending it back.

What I'm pretty sure of is that the 2 x 8GB Dell sticks do not have the XMP profiles, which is probably the reason they are not compatible with XMP memory. That still doesn't explain your memory problem though.

No Events found!