Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2012 20:00

Issues: #1 System crashed loss prepaid overclock # CC ambient temps not reflecting properly

Hello all when i first received my aw aurora ALX in 9/26/2011 about 3 days after getting it for no apparent reason it BOSD'ed I figured ok no biggie called tech support  and was instructed to reinstall the OS  ...unfortunately what i was unaware of and apparently so was the tech support person is that the disk DOES NOT include alienware respawn which I didnt have the opportunity to burn because I idnt have any DLDVDs....

So I have managed to manually reconfigured my HDD's into Raid however the crash completely wiped out my prepaid overclock to 3.36 and I loaded OC profile 1 and it defaulted to I930 2.8 ghz ram 1333 mhz is their anyway for me to restore the overclock .

Also do the ambient temps of command center actually read acurately because thebios shows cpuidle at 40-42c while even under a decent load the command center sits at 30c ...please assist ASAP

40 Posts

April 4th, 2012 23:00

Yes you can get your overclock back, have your tried going into the Bios and change the profile to a higher number? You also have to reset the correct values for overclocking the CPU level to begin with. Second how do you know what the bios is showing the cpu temps are when running a load on the cpu? If you are in windows then you are using a program that is telling what it sees the cpu temp running at which makes you comparing two different programs as to what they preceive as the cpu temp.try running RealTemp and see what it comes up with for cpu temp at idle and under load then compare them to what the other you have used comes up with and report back please.

757 Posts

April 5th, 2012 03:00

Also do the ambient temps of command center actually read acurately because thebios shows cpuidle at 40-42c while even under a decent load the command center sits at 30c ...please assist ASAP

The CC temps monitor tepms inside the case and wont necessarily move that much if you have good ventilation. The bios reads the actual temp of the core. The two are not the same. As your room ambient temps increase, the CC readings will increase.

The CC use to be more responsive to ambient temps, but Dell changed something with the programing of the CC. The ambient temps will slowly increase over time if the room temp / case temp increase and has very little to do with the CPU core temps unless the CPU increasess to the point of heating up the case temps. But with proper ventilation the CC wont show much of a difference when the CPU is under load.

I am back and have the following information:

Their is only one OC profile in under frequency and voltage "Load Level 1 Overclocking I hit enter expecting a drop down menu or possible a overlooked option to modify this setting and instead received the following "Load OEM Level1 OC settings and item values"

I proceeded to load this profile and logged into bios checked system information it stated my processor information at the top Intel i930 2.80 mhz however towards the bottom under CPU Information it use to display 3.36 GHZ and now it only displays the stock setting of 2.80 GHZ.

I have also attached two screen shots reference to the AW Command Center thermal sensors and how they do not appear to reflect and changes in regards to heat or processor stress,which is possible the reason that regardless of what % I set my vents to flare at they remain non responsive unless I manually open/close them or have it to flare during start up...

Real Temp + Command Center Thermal Sensors Before Stress Test:

Real Temp + Command Center Thermal Sensors After Stress Test:

As you can see the Command Center sensors pretty much remain the same this is concerning to me because I have been depending on the command center to monitor my temps while dual boxing games and editing raw video formats ....this is my first unit with a water cooling system so I figured that the reading were accurate however after the crash apparently that is not the case.

#Please Help.

O'kay thank you very much the I was using speedfan and like all of the cores had fire by them however the command center was at a solid 30c this was while stress testing my system while using both Prime95 and Intel Burn Test speedfan was showing like 80c on several cores before even one result posted so I quit I will try to change the profile and  ill install realtemp and report back shortly. thanks for the help.

2.4K Posts

April 5th, 2012 06:00

Sounds like the computer was truly overclocked before the BIOS was set back to default. Meaning that the system was always running at 3.3ghz. The OC setting 1 is not a true overclock but is increasing the turbo values. What that does is keep the CPU underclocked when it's not being used. When you stress the system then it will overclock to whatever turbo value the OC1 is using.

If you want to go back to the standard overclock then you would need to set that manually. I'm not sure of the values needed for your system but a simple forum search should bring up some posts of others that did it. You should be able to follow what they did for yours.

The temps is another thing. The ACC shows ambient temps just like you noted in your first post. Go here to learn what ambient means:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ambient

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ambient-temperature.htm

Ambient temps are the case temps and not that of the CPU. Your temps look good to me for a prime95 run. Your idle temps also look fine and both are well below the TJmax. I wouldn't worry about them. Ignore the fire icon too.

This is the Dell article for overclocking the 920 and 975. While these are not your CPU it should still give you a good idea and even a starting point to manually overclocking your system:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=117679&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs

April 5th, 2012 11:00

So im .....kinda upset because I just blew $100 anyway here goes nothing ...what would you advise that the maximum overclock level be set to is it 3.36 or since im doing it should I try for 3.5 and my ram is DDR3 1600  which based on my bios I believe is DDR3-1600 is it ok it the ram is showing at like 1450mhz or should the OC result in it saying 1330 or lower?

so far the best that I have gotten it to say is 1336....

2.4K Posts

April 5th, 2012 15:00

If it was set at 3.3ghz from the factory then that should be safe. Try going for that.

Is the memory XMP? If so then you should have that set to auto which will run it at its rated speed.

April 7th, 2012 01:00

Yes it was 3.3 pre OCand I have verified that XMP is enabled

April 7th, 2012 01:00

Ooops submitted by accidentally everything appears to be running fairly smooth the link that you provided worked like a charm, thank you very... very.. much for all of your assistance it was greatly appreciated  <3

2.4K Posts

April 7th, 2012 02:00

Ooops submitted by accidentally everything appears to be running fairly smooth the link that you provided worked like a charm, thank you very... very.. much for all of your assistance it was greatly appreciated  <3

Your welcome. I'm glad you got it working.

No Events found!