Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2012 06:00

Issues with m18x drivers for amd 6990 gpu

I have an m18x with dual amd 6990 graphics cards. It came with old drivers so decided to download the latest catalyst drivers from amd website. During installation i got the famous "blue screen" with "System Service Exception" giving me an atikmdag.sys error.

I had to revert back to a restore point. dell website do not have the latest drivers for amd gpu's. can anyone help on what i should do. Am i stuck to using the gpu drivers provided by dell website?

2 Posts

March 13th, 2012 16:00

Hey Mediafriend,

I actually fixed my issue since quite a while. I suggest you do the following:

Uninstall completely your current drivers supplied by Alienware (out of date).

Download the latest Catalyst Drivers from www.amd.com (version 12.2 dated 3/7/2012). about 157mb

I had the trial version of 12.2 and it worked fine. I updated my version today with the latest one (so now 12.3) and so far

everything is working fine.

March 13th, 2012 16:00

I have the same issue with my m18x. I bought an 17x but got upgraded when my 17x died (score!). Only problem is that 75% of games run crappily, even games that my system should handle NO PROBLEM are bogged down by crap performance, shoddy fps and driver issues. I can't update the drivers with the official AMD drivers because dell wont allow it (that's why you blue screen). so we're left getting whatever drivers they offer (currently for the 6770 i think) I cant play Assassin's Creed Revelations becuase the FPS sucks, I can't play battlefield3 because fps sucks I can't play anything outside of minecraft and roms at this point. I'm really getting pissed with dell.

March 13th, 2012 17:00

okay I'll try it. But every time I've tried that it's crashed my system.

66 Posts

March 13th, 2012 22:00

The 12.2 pre-certified should work flawlessly and it is the exact same driver as the Microsoft certified 12.2 driver except the pre-certified actually recognize the M18x 6990M setup.

support.amd.com/.../catalyst122precertifieddriver.aspx

No Events found!