Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2013 14:00

LED lights

hi I'm hoping someone can help. I bought a second hand aurora desk top a few weeks ago it was all working fine for a few days then one day I had to move it just a few inches to the right .so I gently pushed it on the left door with the unite on then after a while I noticed that the lights on that side weren't on anymore but the rest were working fine . iv uninstalled in reinstalled the new alienware command center quite a few times that didn't work .I ran a small LED diagnostic from Dell that didn't help at tall . has anyone got any ideas I'm stuck !! and its driving me MAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

159 Posts

December 17th, 2013 14:00

I have an Area 51 ALX, but I do remember there were issues with the Aurora door contacts making the lighting not function properly. Open the door and look at the location where the frame touches the door.

50 Posts

December 17th, 2013 15:00

Hi wow that was quick ! yeah I did think that might be the problem but I've taken it out of the door and the small lighting assembly both look fine and as far as I can tell ? I dont know if you blow small LED lights like you can with normal bulbs . and that small black power connector looks ok but it's hard to tell when its closed . all the tests iv done say my system is working fine and it is ? it's just the lights on that door

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

December 17th, 2013 23:00

It's possible your door contacts aren't making "contact" now after you put force on the case panel. Ummm, if you have a friend or relative, or if you yourself know how to use a digital mutlimeter to test led bulbs, you can take your case panel apart to get at the led strip (see photo). Basically, Dell uses a wire harness where the green wire is for the green led bulb, blue wire for blue led, red wire for red led. From there, find ground, & you can test to see if the red green & blue led's all still light up with a voltmeter. If they do, you can bet the case isn't making contact. If need be, use a magnifying glass to trace which wires pins will make the led light up, then place the +/- to the pin, see if the led's come on. Otherwise, you can get spare parts from eBay, like a new side cover, perhaps a new led strip, or contact strip; sometimes you have to wait for them to come up for sale, which they often do..

Txcesssurplus.com sells aurora parts too, or find them online with bing/goggle:

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-9525/Alienware-MP-dsh-00004814-dsh-000-Aurora-ALX/Detail

eBay search terms might be: Alienware Aurora led, Alienware aurora cover (panel / side / door also). Alienware aurora contact.

8546.3.jpg

1411.4.jpg

3302.1.jpg

1778.2.jpg

I could have this diagnosed in 5 minutes even though I do not own an Aurora. Here online, my best advice, is to do what you can to ensure the side contacts do make contact ... and if they're still dark, take the panel apart, grab a multi-meter, and check the led bulbs to make sure they work, and are not the problem. If none of this helps, look for a new door for about $50, or find the led strip and install it ... good luck! 

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

December 18th, 2013 02:00

Look, uh, is it too much for you to take your side panel off, unscrew the blue contact plate (circled), & whatever else you need to disassemble, in order to grab your contact plate while the pc is running, and physically touch it to the side panel black connector (mate them together), and see if your side lights flip on? To test that they still work? Sound like an idea? Touch your blue contact plate to your black plate carefully ... lol ... see if the light comes on ... if so ... they work, and your problem would be the contact point when the side panel is reattached to the case, right? That's how I'd test to see if the led's still work. Grab the blue plate and touch it to the black plate while the pc is on ... understand?

$_57.jpg

50 Posts

December 18th, 2013 03:00

hi thanks for all your ideas and advise I'll take the door off and remove the contact plate with the LED strip and try what you said I need to find someone with the right tools to check the power . and I'll let know what happens if it is the LED strip does anyone know if they are sided iv seen loads LED strips on eBay but they all say right door  ! will one fit both sides ? I'm hoping it's a cheap fix and it's only the  LED strip !

No Events found!