Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2016 15:00

Laptop 17 R3 right speaker sound is wicked low, to not working at all.

My 17 R3 no longer plays sound out of the right speaker. When I do the test it plays left VERY loud but right is very very low. Drivers have been deleted and restored. Latest BIOS installed. Neither the Windows 10 sound settings or the SoundBlaster software will correct any of it. USB headphones work fine, as do old school analog 1/8" mini plug headphones and Bluetooth audio works fine also. I never used the sound very often but recently I am using it a lot and one speaker only is an issue. The sub-woofer is working fine also.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 15:00

Your trouble-shooting sounds thorough. Good work.

If it's not the Speaker Balance, sounds like a bad speaker (or speaker-connector-plug). If not the speaker ... well I think it connects to motherboard, so that would be next.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

December 23rd, 2016 16:00

I suggest you Partition Image Backup the system (with Verify on).

Whether you need to send it off for repairs, let a technician tear-into it to replace a speaker or motherboard, recover from hard-drive crash ... or it gets lost, stolen, flooded, or catches on fire ... you might need a perfect backup.

For your concerns, all those scenarios are the same.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

1. I was more hoping that someone else has had the same issue or that Alienware/Dell has had this complaint already.

2. When it was new in Jan of this year I am pretty sure the speaker crackled a bit. I am not a gamer, but with a laptop like this.... Well you have to play the free version of Tomb Raider. I noticed it then. I am just getting around to addressing it now as I want it fixed before my warranty runs out. My screen bezel is also pulling away on the top left. This I have found is a known issue with Alienware.

1. You are welcome to wait for more responses. Although, I'm not sure how that would help to get your machine repaired ... it sounds like a hardware-problem. Same with bezel.

2. For warranty repair (or on-site service), it's faster to just contact Alienware Phone Support.

3 Posts

I did contact them once before (when the 970M card would only go as fast as 4FPS) and they ended up replacing the entire laptop. They were wonderful to work with. With that said, replacing it was not a problem as I had not starting using it for work. Now that I use it for work, I can't give it to anyone or I violate my contracts with a few of my customers. Their property is on my laptop and per my contract, it can't leave my hands. Unless I remove the M.2 card and the HD. If I do, I have to place them in the customers IT vault after notifying them it needs service. A big pain in the rear-end. Thanks for the replies.

3 Posts

I was more hoping that someone else has had the same issue or that Alienware/Dell has had this complaint already. When it was new in Jan of this year I am pretty sure the speaker crackled a bit. I am not a gamer, but with a laptop like this.... Well you have to play the free version of Tomb Raider. I noticed it then. I am just getting around to addressing it now as I want it fixed before my warranty runs out. My screen bezel is also pulling away on the top left. This I have found is a known issue with Alienware. My guess is a bad speaker or poor wires/connectors. You have to take the entire laptop apart to address the wires, so I have not done that.

No Events found!