Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 24th, 2011 14:00

Liquid Cooling System leak.

Well, I sure hope that this is not the start of yet another horror story.  I opened my computer and and found that the liquid cooling system was leaking.  There was white residue covering the fan unit below it and the video card.  I called tech support and they are going to replace the computer.  I asked if it would be a refurbished or new computer.  They said refurbished since it's over a year old.  Actually, it was ordered 3/30/10, shipped 4/20/10 and delivered 4/26/10, so it's less than a year old.  I guess that means it should be a new computer.  They said it would be 3-5 weeks delivery and configured exacly like the original one.  Fortunately, the computer works and there's no sign of overheating.

When the new computer arrives, what do I need to do to bring it to my current state?  Is it just a matter of installing the old hard drives?  What should I do now to prepare?  I have Acronis True Image Home 2011 and am backing up my recovery partition and C: drive.  This is one of those rare occasions where I have time to prepare for the switchover.

March 30th, 2011 19:00

Hi,

1st, thats one sweet system. I have one too. If you get one with the same Motherboard and installed components you can just swap hard drives. However if you get newer hardware or different you may have a BSOD on boot due to hardware differences.

However you could always remove the extras like sound and gaming network cards to minimize the chances of a BSOD.

Personally i would insist on a new unit if you are under 1 year.

-Digital Wisdom

Alienware Area 51| core i7 980 extreme| 256gb SSD| 12gb ram| BluRay|GTX 480
Alienware M17x R2| Core i7 920 extreme| 256 SSD| 8 gb ram| bluray| 1200p RGB| 5870s crossfire|

May 29th, 2011 09:00

BTW Chris, for some reason spaces are now being added after each line in my updated signature.  Anything I can do about that?

May 29th, 2011 09:00

Update:

Well the replacement system arrived in a little over 5 weeks.  It is a new not refurbished system, so the processor, PS, video card,... had to be upgraded to their current equivalents (see below). Because of the hardware changes, I decided to start over from scratch.  It's taken me several weeks to do that and I'm almost finished.. a few more programs and my online backup accounts.

I'm tired of doing this each time I get a new computer and am looking for an easier way to make the transition.  I added two 2Tb drives configured as RAID 1 and an additional 1.5Tb drive for continuous backup of my boot drive.  I copied my old drives onto the 2Tb drive, since Dell was getting impatient for my old system return.  That way I can always reference the old system when updating the new.

All in all, this has been one of the positive Dell experiences.  The only negative was the fact that the original system failed in less than a year.  BTW, when I purchased the system, I bought the best 4yr warranty with all the bells and whistles, including "Your Tech Team Unlimited."  It has proven to be well worth the cost.

Thanks Chris for keeping me updated on my replacement status.

280 Posts

May 29th, 2011 13:00

I noted that too

i.e. each time I press the Enter key, a new paragraph is created with a free line inbetween.  I then started to use the "listing": feeture, like.

• a
  • b
  • c

280 Posts

May 29th, 2011 13:00

oops, pressed post in error too early:  - feeture = feature and I was going to add " Personally. for this particual info I created a JPEG file as follow which can be clicked on and, at least on my set up it then shows as a "larger" picture.:

0743.My Sys Specs.JPG

No Events found!