Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2014 23:00

Low gaming performance on alienware

Hello

I have alienware m17x4, gtx675m 2G, 4G of Ram also A12 BIOS and all upp-dated drivers.

But I cant understand about performance.

When I try to play games like borderlands 2, skyrim the FPS gonna drop under 14~15

I am really disappointed.... and so tired to solve this problem..

I have changed battery and charger, and re install os around 3 times. 

Plz! Help me........

13 Posts

May 9th, 2014 23:00

and here is one more problem.

Before I re install OS, I saw any notice like volume down or up when press any function key, but not now.

How can I fix this?

500 Posts

May 10th, 2014 14:00

For the on screen display issues, I would suggest downloading the application for your system from HERE

As far as gaming performance goes, can you run any game without issue? 

Have you tested your graphics card? I would recommend doing a systems test, focusing on the graphics card, HERE

Please list your results

13 Posts

May 10th, 2014 19:00

I am working now.. I will post after install osd.

Thank u for help. I already have tried systems test and all of GPU are all right.

13 Posts

May 11th, 2014 09:00

Sorry for late..

Unfortunately OSD doesn't work and the checking GPU is alright. But still suck with game..

here is my results 

http://www.dell.com/support/Diagnostics/us/en/19/DiagnosticResults/ShowResults/GCM4DS13BE46A4C32884F78A571FE19BB8430DD

1.8K Posts

May 13th, 2014 10:00

Hi Steve Ch,

For the gaming issues, try the troubleshooting steps on this article for FPS drops. 

The OSD (On-Screen Display) driver version posted above is for the M17X R3. Uninstall it from the Device Manager and install this OSD driver for the M17X R4.

500 Posts

May 13th, 2014 11:00

Sorry for the delay myself, glad to see Naomi was able to offer some help. I have been tied up elsewhere. The article posted is helpful and contains great steps. Let us know if it helps or if issues persist.

1 Message

May 13th, 2014 13:00

This is not a driver problem, not an OS problem. . I have 4 friends and we all have that exact problem. Even worse, this problem can lead to a malfunction gfx card and if you're out of warranty, your system is practically useless to game. The replacement cards are REALLY expensive through Dell and good luck finding one elsewhere.

I bet that your problem is a simple heat problem. You have to open your Alienware (bottom plate) and clean out the two fans. If you're unsure on how to do it check Youtube for quite a lot of tutorials.

I had this issue with Tomb Raider, where i had more and more FPS problems. After cleaning it ran smooth again for a few weeks. Just one week ago, I suddenly got a white screen and after that, the ATI card was dead.

Same goes for my 4 colleagues. I kid you not. We all 5 bought an Alienware about 2 years ago and we all had problems with the GFX card. The 2 lucky ones who opted for a 3 year warranty got the gfx cards replaced, the 2 unlucky ones had to see the card die. Interestingly enough they died within 2 weeks on both of us (and we bought it in the same week). The last one still has warranty but has now the same symptoms. He also had to clean the fans and he can only hope that the card did not take damage in the 2 crashes he had so far.

I'm very disappointed from DELL that they don't take responsability for this flaw. Nobody can tell me that this is a simple coincidence and we all 5 had just bad luck.

So, in short: if you still have warrenty you're on the safe side. Clear the fans, and if it does not help call in for a change. If you're out of warranty.... Good Luck that your card will not die, but don't expect it to last longer than about 2-3 years. Check the various Alienware forums to see tons of people with white/blackscreens and dying gfx cards.

11 Posts

May 18th, 2014 14:00

I had a similar problem at first, and mine was as easy as opening the Nvidia control panel, going to manage 3d settings and selecting high performance Nvidia processor as default.  It originally came set to intel inegrated for some reason. 

May 18th, 2014 23:00

Did the games run well before you updated your drivers for the graphics card?  I had a similar issue where games that had run fine at max settings (Borderlands 2, Bioshock Infinite, and even the original Bioshock) stopped being playable even with the lowest resolution and detail settings.  I was able to fix this by turning off V-sync in each of the games.  I'm running a gtx 765 so I'm not sure if that will make a difference, but it's probably worth a try.  

No Events found!