Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 18th, 2017 18:00

Lucky Finds and Help Needed!

I was lucky enough to stumble onto these two deals... The black one is fully functional and has Windows 7 loaded on it.

The real find was the green one! It's the Chrome trim! I had to make quite a drive to get the green one but I'm happy I did. Now, it had "some" stuff inside but I actually plan to gut everything and use the green case as a custom build!

I need advice/help on what motherboards, coolers (preferably liquid if possible), videocards, etc could fit in this case. I want to make sure it's a smooth process and I don't have to deal with part returns and what not.

Also, does anyone know what the green case is considered?  The person I got the black one from sent me pictures of the initial spec/purchase sheet and it shows as a Area-51 R6.  I'm curious if the green one is considered the same? Any different names for these cases? 

Any assistance would be appreciated!

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

November 20th, 2017 04:00

Those are pre-Dell Aliens, of course one or both can be an Area-51 model

Here, an A-51 ALX X58 review from 2008 with Core i7 965 > https://www.cnet.com/products/alienware-area-51-x58/review/

NoteBookReview 2009 A51 X58 > http://www.notebookreview.com/desktopreview/alienware-area-51-x58-review/

Wishful thinking aside, Bill Owen, the Master Builder from MNPCTech was urged by Alienware to join this forum specifically to post here about a window mod he did, a year later I had to salvage some of his photos at the bottom of the post > ALX Case Mod Project

- Ancient Aliens -

speedstep‌ a bit harsh to call his new toys a fraud, maybe edit your post, those are pure-breds, twins

the debut of A51 in 1998 (an R1) could mean a pedigreed R6 was made over that 10year production run

Kane, I'm sure you've seen AlienAndy's work on AlienOwners, in both the Dell-era A-51 & pre-Dell Legacy forums > too bad his photos are missing, but he seems to have decent knowledge, perhaps contact him in a PM or post into one of his build logs, I see he hasn't logged in in quite awhile, maybe time to summon him back. OriginPC's founders have ties to Alienware as you may know, their Niche Forum ( https://niche.originpc.com/ ) has info on pre-Dell stuff if you look or ask, some owners dwell there or used to. I have like one link to a pre-Dell CmndCntr version, I know nothing about it or any pre-Dell hardware, you're welcome to look it over or pass it on

Below link, Andy describes a Chieftec Dragon case as the basis for A-51 / Aurora Predator chassis', you may very well have a 51 R6, dunno! I know you can find old reviews online still, & Alienware Twitter asked people last month-ish to tweet their Legacy product

His Trio Hive includes a toxic classic > http://www.alienowners.com/threads/trio-hive.7455/

A member on NBR did an x99 Deluxe swap w/5820k + a Titan, I helped him w/a 01YGW adapter like I made for you

Last year was the 20th Anniversary of Alienware's founding and there were several articles and videos, some of which went over the history, where the Predator chassis that you have is the iconic model that helped put this company on the map, perhaps enticing Michael Dell to own the whole darn thing. You can try to put some pieces together using a google site / image / video search of 'Alienware 20th anniversary' as a starting point, uTube might have some things to watch

From Miami to Area 51: the 20-year history of Alienware

How Alienware's gaming PCs kept their cool

Video: 20 years of Alienware: Origin Story

markshaheen‌ is the only one I know here, has one of the last X58 Wartime Editions. Search term pre-dell might help

This vid isn't much help, but check out all of the recommended vids on the right, plenty to watch, Alienware X58 might make a good search term > Alienware Area-51 x58 Wartime Gaming Rig with extras > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtJkcFxxbc8

ALIENWARE Carbon Fiber Paint Case Mod, www.mnpctech.com

Alienware ALX Gaming Rig Re-Build > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cb-atAqUOg

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 20th, 2017 04:00

"Area-51 R6" cant be right these are Very old Made Before March 2006. (This means they are AGP netburst Pentium 4 up to and including Pentium D series I would surmise.  Much like the Optiplex GX620.     The AURORA R1/R2 looks like that. The AREA 51 is a Triangle case.

I have found the unit.  Its a non dell  AREA 51 7500  high end versions came with the Pentium D called CORE2 EXTREME.  Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 hyperthreaded vs  Intel Pentium D 960 Dual core.

The Extreme is about 80 percent faster.  This system would be similar to Precision T3400 with core2 extreme.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/969/Intel_Core_2_Extreme_X6800_vs_Intel_Pentium_D_960.html 

AREA 51 7500

area 51 7500 COVER OFF

OPTIONAL LIQUID COOLING

Edit: This being described as AREA 51 is wishful thinking or  Cass-Ole‌   deceptive unjustifiably claiming or being credited with qualities aka (AREA 51 R6). It has been pointed out that these are PRE Dell Alienware which you can check via the model# on the case as well as COA

AREA51

Technical Specifications for AREA 51 7500

Operating Systems

• Windows Vista® Home Premium
  • Windows Vista® Ultimate
  • Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
  • Windows® XP Professional

Processors, Chipset & Memory

• Standard Intel® Core™2 Duo with Dual Core Technology (built on 45nm technology)
    • Up to 3.16GHz, 1333MHz FSB, 2 x 3MB(6MB) full-speed level 2 cache
  • Optional Intel® Core™2 Duo with Quad Core Technology
    • Up to 2.66GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 x 4MB(8MB) full-speed level 2 cache
  • Optional Intel® Core™2 Extreme Processor with Quad Core Technology
    • Up to 3.0GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 2 x 4MB(8MB) full-speed level 2 cache
  • NVIDIA® nForce 680i SLI
  • Standard 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
  • Up to 4GB of system memory
  • Optional Patriot Extreme Performance Enhanced Latency Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz

Graphics & Video

• Standard NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600 GTS
    • 256 GDDR3 dedicated video memory
    • Dual DVI and S-Video outputs with dual-display support
    • Full DirectX® 10 and OpenGL® 2.0 graphics compatibility
    • NVIDIA® SLI-Ready
  • Optional ATI® Radeon™ HD 3870 X2
    • Dual GPU Technology
    • 2x512MB GDDR3 dedicated video memory
    • Dual DVI and S-Video outputs with dual display support
    • DirectX® 10.1 and OpenGL® 2.0 compatibility
    • PCI Express™ 2.0 x16 GPU bus interface
  • Optional Dual NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8800 Ultra
    • Up to 2 x 768MB GDDR3 dedicated video memory
    • Quad DVI and S-Video outputs with quad-display support*
    • Full DirectX® 10 and OpenGL® 2.0 graphics compatibility

November 20th, 2017 11:00

As always, Cass-Ole to the rescue! I've bookmarked the pages you sent and will do some reading this week for sure. I will also contact AlienwareAndy. Really appreciate it!

BTW, I have pictures that the person I bought the black one from sent me, they're the initial shipping orders/spec sheet and they say Area 51 R6/ALX R8. Ship date was 7/15/08. My question was more of which case the green one would be, but that may be hard to fully prove. Also, the black one the official white sticker that even says "Area 51" on it. I know  was just trying to help and I appreciate it..but clearly they posted in a thread with zero knowledge of what was going on. It happens, we've all been there. But your post has been marked "No" under helpful, because others need to know the correct information. Yes, I've seen the stuff saying Area 51 7500 but there were internal code names and other names for the cases, the spec sheet clearly shows Area 51 R6/ALX R8.

Below are the spec sheets, ignore my horrible attempt in paint to hide the person's phone number, order number, etc.  If you open the images in a new tab you can see the breakdown and on the first one it shows the pc type.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

@Kane > recently we're seeing the 51 R2 x99 mthrbrd (XJKKD) dip into the $150 range on eBay. As a 'purist', you might think about one as a candidate board. 5820K makes an admirable starter CPU. Get your hands on an Alien Win7 DVD (or AlienAddict's ISO), you'd have a path to 7, then free Win10 on any used board you come across > Alienware 14 OS Disk Replacement > still referring to XJKKD, there are several choices of Alien coolers by now (the 30mm Aurora R5-R7 cooler seems to be a bit of an upgrade over the 27mm K31VH 51 cooler). Of course you need to consider the front panel connector mid-board on the right, the audio header mid-board on the left (internal USB 9pin Male extensions can take care of short case wire harnesses), and if you need USB2.0 expansion (over the single 2.0 header), an NZXT USB hub or similar might help. You can still find original black 'Alienware' power supplies made by Newton in the 750w-1000w range (NPS-750AB-1B N1000P-00 NPS-1000AB) but I might pass given their close to 10year age (capacitors are nearing their shelf-life, or could last another 10years, who knows > if u get one, it'll be an old one). Buying one to stand in long enough for a photoshoot is an option, maybe heheh

As for your prior interest in the x299 R4 mthrbrd, we're seeing some odd front panel / USB 2.0 headers on it and the R3 board; whether sooner or later you were to toss an R4 board into your R2 case & move your XJKKD into one of these new cases, read the head's up if you haven't already > challenging but not impossible > power switch for A51 R3? > If you see anyone posting about their R4, ask them what the 5-digit Dell part tag reads as (maybe a photo of it), then inquire through Dell the cost. I predict another 5-6months before we see the 1st used or 'refurbished' ones on eBay at a discount

372 Posts

I had a loaded i7-975 beast in black.  I ended up selling it for $1,000 to a friend of my son's 2 years ago.  The lights still work and the PC is still 100% functional.  The only change was to Win 7 from Vista ultimate and upgraded the video card.

November 20th, 2017 16:00

Nice! Hopefully they appreciate it, that's great. 

November 20th, 2017 16:00

I actually did think about using one of those boards...but I've also considered doing an ATI/Radeon/AMD build...Maybe a Ryzen processor and an RX 580. I have my Area 51 R2 for my 4K gaming, looking at building this for solid 1080P gaming..but I'm not sure. Wondering if I could do RX 580s in SLI in it or not. Or, if there is a better single Radeon card for 1080p gaming in that price bracket. 

I'm going to look into which boards would be good that would support the Ryzen processors. Still, a small possibility I decide to use an Alienware board..I typically like to keep as much their stuff as possible but this time I'm considering deviating and doing a complete custom build.

I'll likely go Corsair for the power supply this time around. I haven't looked into what exactly I'll need to connect the case wires to motherboard yet. I should point out, the wire on the green panel that you remove to get inside doesn't have a connector on it, looks like it got ripped off. The wires are there, one isn't exposed..So, I'll need to cut that one a bit to expose it and see what I need to add on the end and where such things connect. I will likely need your help with these, when the time comes..if you don't mind.

Your post about using the R3/R4 boards seem insane -_- I had actually considered putting an R4 board in mine next year to upgrade the processor (I have the 5820K currently but it holds it's own!) but all of that seems a bit crazy. I'm sure I'd still do it when the time came, but I might hold off on that for a bit longer lol. I'm not sure I feel like dealing with all of that haha.

For now my concern will be picking the parts I want for the green case, getting the case connected properly, and worrying about the rest later. Thought, I may have another Alien case on the way...I'll keep you posted. 

No Events found!