Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2012 10:00

M 14x (built in 2011) suddenly shut down.

My M14x of one year four months suddenly just switched off yesterday. There were no power surges or anything going on before hand, I was loading a game I always play, nothing out of the ordinary. It literally was loading and then one second later just went black. The power cord lights up when plugged into the wall, but the light goes out immediately if I plug it back into the laptop. It will not turn on. I am pretty  . It seems like it waited for my warranty to expire and unfortunately I do not have the funds to run all sorts of tests to see what it is. I know some laptops will not run if the battery stops working, could that be what happened? My computer was plugged in at the time, I can only hope it is not more serious, that I didn't lose any data, etc. I saw no indication of the battery going out either.

A week and a half ago or so (I forget but it was fairly recent) the power supply overheated and my computer switched to battery mode, but I gave it a rest and the power supply seemed to be fine after I did that. But now nothing. I cannot run it plugged in, and I cannot run it on battery. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 12th, 2012 12:00

Revenwyn,

Remove the battery from the system. Plug the AC adapter into the system. Try to power the system on.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2012 12:00

That was the first thing I did, and it did not work.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 13th, 2012 08:00

That overheating issue is odd. I have no idea what damage it could have done but my guess is it sounds like either internal power port plug is defective or it could be a short somewhere else internally. Is there a local repair store that has the M14x? If yes, you could test your M14x on their AC adapter to see if their AC adapter blue ring stays on or shuts off. My M18x-R1 AC adapter blue ring is on all the time when plugged  into the wall jack, regardless of plugged into the system or not.

March 10th, 2013 10:00

I have the exact same problem, did you fix it? I was playing and it suddenly shut off... the blue ring on the adaptor goes off when I plug it into the laptop.

3 Posts

March 10th, 2013 14:00

No, it was never fixed. The motherboard was fried and I don't have the money to get it fixed.

No Events found!