Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2015 10:00

M.2 SSD and HDD Backwards?

Just got my Alienware 15 in the mail.  Looks great, but one issue.  It has the 128GB M.2 SSD and a 1TB HDD.  My understanding is that the OS goes on the SSD, and the HDD should be for data, programs, etc.  However, mine has the OS installed on the HDD and the SSD is labeled as DATA.  Am I mistaken on how it was supposed to be from the factory?  Kinda tricky to fix considering this notebook doesn't come with an optical drive.

Any advice / feedback is appreciated.

Mark

727 Posts

April 29th, 2015 10:00

No, that's not how it's supposed to be. The SSD is to be the boot drive, and the HDD is to be the storage. You'll have to make a recovery USB. You can use Alien Respawn / Dell Backup & Recovery to do this.

118 Posts

April 29th, 2015 13:00

Thanks for the feedback.  They did include a recovery disk with the computer, so I picked up an external DVD drive from Fry's.  Reinstalled fresh OS from the disk and since I was there I got a 1TB Samsung EVO PRO 850 SSD.  Set it up now so that everything is on the 1TB SSD and I will use the M.2 SSD for file storage so if I have to reinstall I don't lose data.

Only two issues I see so far.  The recovery disk is just an Alienware branded copy of Win8.1 (no Dell files).  I downloaded and attempted to install all the drivers and apps.  The USB 3.0 drivers won't install (says my hardware doesn't meet the requirements) although I know this computer has USB 3.0 ports.  As well, there is one "unknown device" in the Device Manager and I am thinking it is related to the USB ports.

Anyone have some advice?

Mark

118 Posts

April 29th, 2015 15:00

Okay, still not sure about the USB drivers, but I will start a new thread about that.  As far as the Unknown Device, it was the On Screen Display drivers.  Guess I forgot to install that item.

Thanks again.

No Events found!