Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2011 07:00

M11x Overheating Problem

Purchased my M11x just before Christmas last year and I really like the machine, it's sleek, powerful and pretty cool. I have a major gripe with my M11x though, I can't play games longer than 10-15 minutes without insane heat coming from the machine and either dropping the FPS on games down to unplayable standards or just simply turning my machine off without notice.

I've updated all my drivers/BIOS and all that, I've made sure the fan was cleaned and I even bought a laptop cooling stand and more often than not I will get major heat causing the previously mentioned problems. I have also run tools from the DELL website for my computers health and all that stuff but with no avail.

Would just like to know if anyone else has had this problem and who do I contact do get my machine fixed? It's still under warranty.

Thank you for your time!

1 Message

November 26th, 2011 08:00

I am having the exact same problem with my m11x R2. It shut's down after 10-15 minutes gaming and gets very hot. I am using a cooler pad too but no changes.

I dont have warranty left but im still gonna call dell on Monday.

Tizzlefred

2 Posts

January 15th, 2012 05:00

Hey Fellas, I seem to have the same problem as you guys. Did either of you find a solution?

28 Posts

January 15th, 2012 08:00

Oops, also if the machine is still under warranty, you can get an onsite to replace the Heatsink for you.

28 Posts

January 15th, 2012 08:00

This is going to sound stupid but, remove the bottom plate, trap the fan blades with a toothpick or something and use compressed air to blow in from the exhaust into the system. blowing the machine iut regularly helps control the dust isue, but dust gets trapped between the fan and the fins on the heatsink, stopping airflow. Give that a try, hopefully you can break loose the compacted dust.

9 Posts

January 18th, 2012 13:00

My warranty's out and blowing out the fan and heatsink doesn't help. I've heard replacing the disk drive with a solid state drive makes a big difference - has anyone else found that? I also might try replacing the heatsink and/or thermal goo - has anyone had any results with that?

2 Posts

January 18th, 2012 22:00

I am having the same issue.  I'm never buying another laptop for gaming!

3 Posts

January 19th, 2012 19:00

Just to let you guys know that I ended up ringing Dell before my warranty ran out telling them about all my problems over the phone, they gave me a list of things to try (like compressed air and such).

I told them that I had tried all that and my machine was still not working so they sent a technician to my home and he replaced the entire inside of my machine.

Works well enough now although this whole experience has taught me just to stick to my desktop for all my PC gaming.

406 Posts

January 19th, 2012 20:00

1 Message

September 1st, 2012 13:00

and what did they do for you? any resolution?

No Events found!