Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 20th, 2014 16:00

M11x-R2, upgrade Intel i3 processor to an i5 or i7?

I was looking to see if I can change my i3 to maybe an i5 or i7 without any issues? So far i added 8gb of ram a 350gb hard drive. I know that I would have to disassemble my laptop which would not be the first time, but I never replaced an intel before so I do not know if it can be done. I have heard other people do it  and seen it, but it was not on an alienware.

1.8K Posts

May 21st, 2014 17:00

Hi!

In the M11X models the processor is welded to the Motherboard, so there's no option to upgrade the CPU without replacing the entire Motherboard.

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 12:00

Wow I did not know that, very dissapointing. But you say its welded, which means it is glued permanently right? Arent there welding tools to handle this type of process? Maybe a professional can attempt this, but lets just say this professional does it, would there be any conflicts? or it all depends if the procedure is done correctly?

83 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 13:00

even if you had someone able to DE solder the (stab in the dark here) say 900 pins front he cpu, and manage to get a better cpu soldered on to the board, would the bios actually support it since it wasn't supported originally..

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 14:00

Is that a question or a fact? I wish I knew if anyone ever attempted it... I do not want to risk it too... I do not have money like that....

4 Posts

May 22nd, 2014 15:00

Alienware-Naomi, you say the only way is to replace the motherboard. So would this solution also be safe, is there anything I should know before trying to replace the mother board. I seen an m11x r2 motherboard with a core i5 processor. I have back ups in my usb sticks. Not sure sure if this would conflict with my operating system...

1.8K Posts

May 23rd, 2014 10:00

There's always a risk, but it's still safer to replace the Motherboard than to try to remove and replace the processor alone. These replacements are normally done by certified technicians. If you're planning on replacing the Motherboard yourself, here is the M11X disassembly video. You can also send an email to alienhelp@dell.com if you want to pay for a technician to do the installation. 

No Events found!