Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2013 21:00

M14X R2 Fan to Heatsink Tape

Is there a part number for this strip of tape? or can someone tell me the type of tape this is so i can try to source it from someone like mouser or Digi key?

#4 in the diagram from the manual.

fan tape 70.jpg

500 Posts

October 28th, 2013 17:00

Don't stress. You can use electrical tape in its place. 

77 Posts

October 29th, 2013 01:00

Or you can try packing tape.

148 Posts

October 29th, 2013 09:00

No stressing here ;-)

Electrical tape gets unhappy when it gets hot and leaves a very sticky residue behind where as this tape does not.

I am guessing there was a purpose this tape was placed there and simply am trying to get another piece or roll lol. It's not critical but would be nice to find out.

500 Posts

October 29th, 2013 12:00

Electrical tape wouldn't be good to apply directly to the heat sink, but at you are talking about applying it to a non heat generating area of the laptop then you will be fine. Vinyl electrical tape usually doesnt get soft until around 120F, I know people who even use scotch tape in these locations. The fan itself doesnt heat up to the high temps other components can. You can also buy non vinyl electrical tape at most hardware stores. 

There are plenty of "heat and electric resistant" tapes out there, but often times it is overkill. However, like I said, if you want to be cautious use cloth electric tape or another non vinyl version. Higher quality electrical tapes are even used for stove and furnace insulation while still maintaining their electric resistance. Other people use scotch tape, painters tape, masking tape, and more. 

I am unaware of the specific brand or type of tape used in your system when assembled, but obviously Dell is going to try and use some decent quality stuff. They have specific thermal paste and pads that are not purchasable by most consumers, for example. 

148 Posts

November 1st, 2013 12:00

I found a nice solution. Aluminum tape that leaves no residue when removed. I replaced the 2.3cfm CPU fan in my M17x R4 with an M14x R2 fan rated at 10.4 cfm.  Temps have dropped substantially while gaming ;-)

fan.jpg

500 Posts

November 2nd, 2013 00:00

I see what you were looking at now. Strangely I was under the impression you were talking about the tape that hold down the fan wiring. Which is why I suggested electrical tape. 

However, regular vinyl electrical tape definitely would get hot and "soft" if placed in the manner in which you actually intended. 

Still be careful about the tape you use. Best to avoid conductive tape, but risk is usually minor. Some higher quality cloth or other material electrical tapes I would still recommend, but glad you found something that works for you. 

148 Posts

November 2nd, 2013 18:00

I measured with my DMM from the tape to the heatsink and there is no conductivity since the adhesive carrier is intact. the top of the fan is plastic so no worries there 

No Events found!