Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2012 06:00

M14X died

I've had my Alienware M14X for just two months and it has died on me. When the power button is pressed the keyboard lights come on the optical drive whirrs then I just get a blank screen and a series of very loud beeps. OK, its under warranty so I'll contact support and hopefully they'll arrange to get it fixed (new motherboard needed I suspect). But here's my question: there's a DVD in the optical drive and I really need to remove it....how? Do I have to take the laptop to pieces?

73 Posts

February 12th, 2012 22:00

if u have another laptop thats new from around 2008 to 2011 take the disk drive out of the m14x and place it on your other laptops slot and have the laptop eject the disk out

if u dont have a 2nd laptop then cant really help on that theres no way of getting the disk out w/o having to take the whole disk drive apart

22 Posts

February 12th, 2012 22:00

Welcome to the M14x club, you are not alone in your problems....

February 12th, 2012 23:00

I don't have one of these units but usually a CD/DVD drive will have a small hole in the tray face that you insert a straightened paper clip in ( some are deep, others are shallow ) push; and the tray, unlocks and  ejects, you may have to manually pull on it. It does not necessarily have to be powered up. There should also be a keyboard key that will eject it. Hope this helps.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2012 00:00

Its a slot loader - doesn't have the tiny hole for a paper clip.

Hopefully the Dell Service Engineer can remove the DVD.

No Events found!