Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2014 03:00

M14x R2: Trying to format and reinstall; problems abound

Hi there;

I am a 2 year owner of a M14x R2 with Windows 8.  Performance has degraded somewhat and I wish to make a clean format but I can't for some reasons:

1. Microsoft doesn't provide me with an iso to download as Microsoft's downloaders won't accept my Windows 8 OEM key, neither 8 and 8.1 downloaders.

2. Dell recovery DVD doesn't include drivers. (¿What?) When I boot the pc with the dvd the wizard tells me that the installation requires a media driver it can't find. The funny part is that it must be the DVD driver because the filesystem of the installation wizard consists of only one letter (X:) which I understand it's the fake HDD located in RAM and no DVD I put in the optical drive is ever recognized.

It's driving me nuts, part of me wants to download a win7 image and reinstall but if I have a win 8 licence I want to keep using it. And the other part wants to download illegally win 8 because microsoft messed the installation part badly.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

October 2nd, 2014 10:00

Hi there;

I am a 2 year owner of a M14x R2 with Windows 8.  Performance has degraded somewhat and I wish to make a clean format but I can't for some reasons:

1. Microsoft doesn't provide me with an iso to download as Microsoft's downloaders won't accept my Windows 8 OEM key, neither 8 and 8.1 downloaders.

2. Dell recovery DVD doesn't include drivers. (¿What?) When I boot the pc with the dvd the wizard tells me that the installation requires a media driver it can't find. The funny part is that it must be the DVD driver because the filesystem of the installation wizard consists of only one letter (X:) which I understand it's the fake HDD located in RAM and no DVD I put in the optical drive is ever recognized.

It's driving me nuts, part of me wants to download a win7 image and reinstall but if I have a win 8 licence I want to keep using it. And the other part wants to download illegally win 8 because microsoft messed the installation part badly.

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance.

You may request media here.

2 Posts

October 8th, 2014 05:00

Thank you but how can I know if the new cd will have the drivers?

Besides, I'm in Europe (Spain) how do I request one if I'm not from the USA.

Thank you

No Events found!