Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 28th, 2013 15:00

M14x video - Force nVidia card to be primary

All,

I spent a lot of money to purchase an Alienware M14x because of is "capabilities".  However, I only get 10-20 fps while playing World of Warcraft, which is ridiculous.  My 2006 iMac gets better framerates.

I understand that my 3gb nVidia card is not even used in presentation of graphics.  All graphics appear to be forced through the Intel chipset no matter what.  Is anyone aware of how I can deactivate the intel grapics TOTALLY.  I do not want a work around.

Thanks.

2.4K Posts

January 28th, 2013 18:00

All,

I spent a lot of money to purchase an Alienware M14x because of is "capabilities".  However, I only get 10-20 fps while playing World of Warcraft, which is ridiculous.  My 2006 iMac gets better framerates.

I understand that my 3gb nVidia card is not even used in presentation of graphics.  All graphics appear to be forced through the Intel chipset no matter what.  Is anyone aware of how I can deactivate the intel grapics TOTALLY.  I do not want a work around.

Thanks.

Hello rawb44 [:D]

Read this article on setting up the Optimus with games and see if it doesn't help you:

January 29th, 2013 09:00

rawb44,

You cannot disable the Intel Graphics on your system, if you check the article that morblore post, it explains the purpose of the optimus technology.

January 29th, 2013 19:00

After calling support - they tested my video card and the card itself is functioning when utilized.  Truthfully, if I knew that I would be buying a system with dual graphics cards, I would have looked elsewhere.  I have not read the article yet on "Optimus" technology, but I have never had problems with systems I have built utilizing a single graphics card.  In fact, the simplification of the system leads to less failure points.

Now I will muddle through the documentation and see if I can properly configure my cards to work in the way I expected them to work when I bought this expensive laptop.

No Events found!