Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2011 00:00

M15x Questions

I have a refurb M15x on the way.  It's a very nice system:

i7-940xm, 4GB, 256GB SSD, 1.5GB NVIDIA GeoForce 460M, 1920x1080, 1520 802.11n

There are just a couple of things I would have done differently if I had purchased it new, and that's where my questions are:

1) I assume the 1520 wireless card ONLY works with "n", not "g".  Can I purchase the Intel WiFi Link 5300 802.11AGN and install it myself?  Does it have to be purchased through Dell, or can I get one on eBay?

2) I'd like to upgrade the RAM to 8GB.  Is that the max the M15x will hold (2x4GB)?  If so, what specific memory should I get?  I know it needs to be DDR3-1333, but are there variations in pin count, etc.?

3) Probably silly, but I'd love to get a custom nameplate.  Is there a way to order one through Dell?  I can't seem to find an option anywhere.

Really appreciate any help.

129 Posts

February 5th, 2011 01:00

Don't know for certain..

But I'd be very surprised if the Wireless card doesn't support B/G/N.  I have a mix at home although mostly mine are all N but I hav e aNetbook with G which works fine with the N router and vice versa.  All the USB sticks I have are rated for use with all 3 bands.  My newest one also supports dual band N....

If you are really having troubles I would go with the Nano D-Link USB adaptor.  Probably easier than bothering with removing and installing a new card but then again it does eat up a USB port.

11 Posts

February 5th, 2011 10:00

Very nice combo you wont be dissapointed. You can swap the Wifi card out its not hard you should see panels on the bottom of the machine near the name plate but I dont know if Dell will sell it to you but thats the only way you can do it  unless you buy a used part from a damaged Alienware on Ebay but I would rather get it new from Dell if offered. 2 4 gig  DDR3 chips is the max 8 gigs total DDR3 is the specific chip needed make sure they know its for a laptop. Dell wont do anything on the nameplate reason they only make them for custom orders a referb was a prebuilt order but you can take it off and just have someone etch your name on it.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 5th, 2011 18:00

BamaD,

USA KW374 Intel Wireless 5300 802.11n, Half Mini Card

Canada KW374 Intel Wireless 5300 802.11n, Half Mini Card

2 Posts

February 6th, 2011 06:00

Appreciate the help!

My M15x arrived yesterday and it's amazing!  The only disappointment so far is that blu-ray  discs won't play.  Apparently you have to buy an upgrade to PowerDVD to get that functionality.

No Events found!