Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 3rd, 2012 12:00

M17X R3 How to remove RAID 0 conffiguration

I currently have one of the early releases of the M17x R3.  It has the i& processes, 8GB or Ram and 2 750 gb HDDs configured in a RAID 0 configuration.

First, let me state, I'm not concerned about loosing data.  I've got everything backed up externally.

What I wan to is remove the RAID configuration so I can replace the primary drive with an SSD and load the OS on the SSD, and then use one of the other 750 gb dirves as my data drive.

My goal when finished is to see 2 seperate drives a C and a D drive isntead of 1 big C drive.

I know there are settings in the bios as well as at boot up with the intel Rapid storage configuration utility, but I'm not sure on what the exact process would be to break the raid, and reinstall from my Windows 7 disc.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Nick.

4 Operator

• 

2K Posts

December 3rd, 2012 14:00

Hi NickXPSL702X,

To remove the RAID 0 configuration from the computer a few steps needs to be followed which is mentioned below:

(1) Delete RAID in RAID bios:

(a) Enter the Intel RST Option ROM Utility by pressing ‘ctrl+I’ key just after the Dell Logo.

(b) Select Delete RAID Volume using the up and down arrow keys, press Enter.

(c) Highlight the Array to be deleted and press the delete key.

(d) Enter Y when prompted that all data will be lost.

(2) Change to AHCI in BIOS by following the below steps:

(a) Turn on the Computer, at the Dell Logo keep tapping the F2 key

(b) BIOS screen appears, move to advanced tab.

(c) Select SATA Operation, change to AHCI mode and then press F10 which saves the settings.

(3) Connect the new drives.

(4) Do an Operating system reinstallation.

If you have any further questions please reply to the same post.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2015 01:00

Hi NickXPSL702X,

To remove the RAID 0 configuration from the computer a few steps needs to be followed which is mentioned below:

(1) Delete RAID in RAID bios:

(a) Enter the Intel RST Option ROM Utility by pressing ‘ctrl+I’ key just after the Dell Logo.

(b) Select Delete RAID Volume using the up and down arrow keys, press Enter.

(c) Highlight the Array to be deleted and press the delete key.

(d) Enter Y when prompted that all data will be lost.

(2) Change to AHCI in BIOS by following the below steps:

(a) Turn on the Computer, at the Dell Logo keep tapping the F2 key

(b) BIOS screen appears, move to advanced tab.

(c) Select SATA Operation, change to AHCI mode and then press F10 which saves the settings.

(3) Connect the new drives.

(4) Do an Operating system reinstallation.

If you have any further questions please reply to the same post.

i followed these steps but seems that Sata Operation is locked into RAID and does not allow me to switch to AHCI (or ATA) ... also after clicking yes at the popup message that inform you that the system will not boot changing this option

at the boot "ctrl+i" screen i see the msata drive and the new ssd as Non-raid disk

any help to set AHCI?

901 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 03:00

Hi, I've had this issue quite a few times.

The HDD's are "stuck" in RAID and they need to be completely erased.

I use a program called white canyon that overwrites the HDD's with 1's and 0's - 1x overwrite is quite enough. I'm sure you could use other HDD wiping programs.

Once you have completely erased both HDD follow these instructions.

1. Reboot after wiping, during reboot repeatedly hit the F2 key to boot to system BIOS menu.

2. Select SATA operation and change from RAID to AHCI.

3. Save and reboot, hit the F12 key to select where to load OS from.

No Events found!