Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 17th, 2014 13:00

M17X R3 not charging

Hello i Have Alienware M17x R3 and it recently starting to break down :(
when i plug it in , battery is not charging and performance is really low.
when i unplug it it runs fine as long i have it  running on battery.
I have tried this:

1. close laptop and remove battery (while still on). 

2. open lid and remove AC adapter (while still on, will power off system)

3. close lid and connect battery

4.  open lid, connect AC adapter, and power on.

but did not help 

11 Posts

March 23rd, 2014 05:00

Luckly for me it was charger.

February 18th, 2014 11:00

11 Posts

February 18th, 2014 13:00

Performance is always low and temperature is just fine .

February 19th, 2014 09:00

How much is it getting during gaming sessions according to GPU-Z ? 

I read on the original post that the performance was fine while on battery. 

11 Posts

February 19th, 2014 12:00

I am currently not able to measure that because my battery is on 0% but it works normaly like it should , it sometimes works good when i reinsert charget to notebook. Performance is okey and battery is charging until i plug it out .

2 Posts

March 7th, 2014 18:00

As you may know, this is a consistent problem with many of the Alienware M17x versions. I have the R2 model and it would intermittently charge, but most times the charger would not show in the bios, so I finally got fed up and took to drastic measures. I ordered a replacement motherboard power connector and went through the entire disassembly, unsoldering/soldering routine. After putting things back together I noticed I still had an issue.

So I got a magnifying glass and discovered that the mainboard trace was broken, so I painstakenly traced the center pin connector to the next hop, which was a resistor a short distance away. I placed a jumper wire directly to the two connectors and I have never had one problem since. Every single time I have booted my power supply is acknowledged without fail. 

If your laptop is out of warranty and you are up to it, I would strongly recommend trying to jump the center pin on your existing connector to see if that solves the problem. 

I would think that this should be a known problem at Dell and that they would address the issue by reinforcing the connection with a much stronger trace. 

I hope this was helpful. 

Best of luck, 

Emery Rudolph

No Events found!