Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 1st, 2016 18:00

M17X-R3 won't turn on

M17X-R3, Windows 7 Pro, i7, 16GB, 580M

A while ago I was suffering random shutdowns during gaming and came to the conclusion the GTX560M was failing, overheating etc. So I replaced this with a GTX580M which as long as I manually kept the GPU fan maxed out solved the issue.

Just now during gaming the laptop just differently turned off. Initially I couldn't reboot, so left it 5 minutes and then it rebooted into Windows. After about 10 minutes in windows (not gaming) the laptop turned off again. This time I can't get it to turn back on even after waiting some time, no post, no power light, no nothing.

I noticed that the blue light on the power adaptor cable where it plugs into the laptop wasn't illuminated. I unplugged the power adaptor from the laptop and the mains, plugged it back into the mains and the blue light tightened as expected, but as soon as I plugged it into the laptop the blue light turns off.

Any thoughts on the issue here?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2016 18:00

Hi,

If the AC adapter light turns off  when you plugged it into the system, then the issue will be the video card or the motherboard.

53 Posts

October 4th, 2016 13:00

It's frustrating when researching a problem only to find someone else posting about it but never updating the post with a resolution, therefore:

You sir might be my new best friend.  I'd never considered that the graphics card could be the problem, and having upgraded the card previously I had the original 560M sitting around.  I took the current card out and power was restored, although since there was no graphics card present (and the 120MHz screen can't boot on the integrated graphics) I got the expected 8 POST beeps.  I replaced the broken card with the original one, reassembled and so far so good.  The laptop has booted into windows, was completely happy with the current drivers installed.

So I went from being on the verge of either sending my laptop away to get repaired or purchasing a new motherboard to having a functioning laptop.

I can't say how thankful I am that you took the time to reply to my post.  Many thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 4th, 2016 14:00

I am glad that my answer helped you. Remember that you can always send me a PM if you need something else!

53 Posts

October 20th, 2016 17:00

Unfortunately I've returned with bad news. The 560M that I reverted to has gone the same way as the 580M: It's been crashing a bit recently I thought due to heat but it just turned off and now I get nothing when I try to power on, also experiencing the light on the power adaptor going out when I plug it into the machine.

Now is this likely to be another failed graphics card, or could there be something wrong with the motherboard which is causing the graphics cards to fail?

Any thoughts or resolutions?

Many thanks, Stephen

No Events found!